Electrical & Lights LED brake lights with lights on = no cruise control

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by speeding_ant, Thursday 29th Jan, 2015.

1. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Huh, well how about that... After installing new LED brake lights (dual filament 7443 type) it appears that cruise control doesn't work if you have your lights on. Works perfectly otherwise.

I did some reading, it looks like perhaps the LEDs are not drawing much current when the lights are on, so *A* system thinks your brake lights are out. Cruise control will cancel if you touch your brakes. From this, I can only assume they're tapping into the light circuit? I have to wonder, why would Honda design a system like this, when you'd think it should really be based off a hydraulic pressure switch from the brake servo...

Any ideas? Apart from using load resistors or going back to incandescent?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry I'm not sure I fully understand the problem.

You say :-
    Cruise control should cancel if the brake pedal is touched.

3. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Sorry, yes I understand that the cruise control should cancel using the brake lights. What I'm saying is that after I installed LED brake bulbs, only after I turn the lights on, the cruise control doesn't work at all.

With the lights on I am guessing that the LED bulbs use a lot less current, and perhaps the cruise control computer thinks the brake lights are out. I'm more intrigued as to why that should even make a difference.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Before LED brake lights:

Lights off: cruise control works as expected, and brakes cancel as expected
    Lights on: cruise control works as expected, and brakes cancel as expected

After LED brake lights:

Lights off: cruise control works as expected, and brakes cancel as expected
    Lights on: cruise control doesn't set speed, so it never works

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Pass :Unknown: