Electrical & Lights LED bulbs.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by 1066Boy, Friday 19th Aug, 2016.

1. 1066Boy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Evening all. I have led bulbs in my sidelights and they are lovely and bright also a nice white light.
    The downside of this is that they make my headlights look a bit yellow.
    I tried led headlamp bulbs a few years ago and the colour was nice but the light output was very poor,
    Have the more up to date ones got any better?
    I like the more modern look of LEDs but its not as important as light output for me.
    Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Allan. :Niceone:

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Philips Xtreme Vision and Osram Nightbreakers are seem to be most recommended bulbs out there. They do burn out quicker than OEM bulbs which probably last 10s of years these days but to some people its a worthwhile drawback.

3. 1066Boy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the swift reply. :Smile: I have the Nightbreakers in my other cars and they are good but I was looking to
    change to LED's. :Wink:

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    From what I have been reading about them (due to the fact that I myself considered them at one point) aftermarket LEDs 'look' brighter but don't have the range of the traditional halogen bulbs. Unless you factory LED setup like you get in Prius *puke* or Audis you might actually not gain much..
    Found this video from my fav motoring website.. might shed some 'light' on the subject (pardon the pun :Grin:)

5. 1066Boy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that video, very well explained and similar to my experience when I tried it a few years ago.
    I do love the white look though so maybe led's in the dip beam lamps and Nightbreakers in the
    main beam is the way forward for me, best of both worlds. :Smile:

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    No offence to @1066Boy but is anyone else NOT a fan of brilliant white car bulbs, or is it just me? I particularly dislike these when used as the rear number plate illumination.

7. 1066Boy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am right with you there. I am not looking to blind people with lazerlight type light output.
    My current ones are very yellow and look very poor compared with my sidelights.
    Just looking to get a more modern look. :Smile:

Zebster likes this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yeah, yellow is a bad look too!

I think you'll struggle to match white LED outputs using halogen bulbs. Maybe consider HID conversion?