Electrical & Lights LED Light Bulbs

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Bones126, Tuesday 2nd Sep, 2014.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Anyone have any experience of fitting LED side and headlight bulbs?

I have fitted LED interior light bulbs which light up the car very well, loads better than standard. But looking at side lights there a several options such as projector, forward facing and all-round.

Wonder which was best and if anyone can shed some light on the canbus error free business?

Thanks guys.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    CAN bus (Controller Area Network bus) is a communication back bone through which various devices around the car send messages.
    Various controllers in the car monitor these messages and react appropriately to them. On some cars headlight controller modules monitor the voltage level on the lines that are connected to the standard bulbs.
    If they detects an incorrect voltage on the line they sends a "light bulb out" message with in turn gets shown on the cars dash.

These CAN Error Free LEDs ensure that a false bulb out situation isn't thrown when you install this LED bulbs instead of the normal bulbs.

I doubt that the FR-V needs CANbus Error Free LED bulbs but there is no harm in using them.

I'm using LED bulbs for sidelights and fog lights. You can see them here in this guide Front Fog Light Replacement

Princepugh and Bones126 like this.
  3. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    I have these side lights fitted. Look nice with the after market xenon kit

Think my profile pic shows them. On mobile right now.

Bones126 likes this.
  4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nice one guys, thanks. Looks like another purchase to make :Whistle:

5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Ben28, what daytime lights are those please? may try and integrate them when I get round to installing a front spoiler.

6. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    eBay item number 231141680602
    They're silver so I sprayed them black. They have a wire which connects to the headlight 12v so they turn off when the headlights are on to comply with uk law.
    I got the switched live for the drls from a small relay box next to the main under bonnet fuse box. If you need details on which pin let me know

Chunkylover53, Bones126 and SpeedyGee like this.
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The FR-V almost certainly won't need CANBUS error free bulbs, the CAN system doesn't extend to the lights on most Hondas.

I'm unfamiliar with the bulbs used on the FR-V, but I'd assume the sidelights are T10? In which case I'd get front-facing SMD LEDs. For the dipped headlights I'd personally convert them to HID, unless going for the Cree LED versions they don't tend to project far enough in my eyes. For fog lights you can use HID, but I consider that overkill, I, @SpeedyGee and @Racy Jace all went for Cree LED.

If you want more specifics on what's best for what application just ask. Remember the further you get away from around the 4300-5000 kelvin temperature the less luminosity you'll get for the same wattage (ie. 5000k bulbs will be brighter than 8000k by the same manufacturer).

Some shots of my set-up are here.

Princepugh and Bones126 like this.
  8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi DD, nice post. Thanks for the info. I believe the sides are T10, Nice set up there, look the biz!

9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just make sure you install them with the ignition off otherwise they blow.:Whistle:

The led fogs are definitely an improvement over OEM when driving down unlit country roads. I've yet to use them in fog yet.

Bones126 likes this.
  10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Lol cheers for the advice, I don't think anyone uses them for what they are intended. Is it still ilegal to drive with them on in the day without fog?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It is, unless they're I believe 12 inches or more from the ground in which case they have to legally be considered as driving lights :Smile:

Bones126 likes this.
  12. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    OK, next question :help:

These high voltage bulbs I have on the diesel, are they really going to give me pisser when I unplug them :crazyeyes: What do I need to know?

Cheers Guys

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you talking about HID bulbs ?

When changing HID bulbs take the following precautions :-
    • Make sure the headlamps are off.
    • Don't work on the headlights in wet conditions.
    • Be careful not to touch the ballast if you have had the headlights have been on (it will be very hot!)

Bones126 likes this.
  14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I haven't heard that one before, but I'm not a diesel driver - just disconnect the battery negative if you're concerned.

15. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I was reading the manual :Blushing:, Yes I know before you all start :taunt: It says the Hi Voltage bulbs can store the voltage which can give you a shock so take it to a dealer to have done, all the other types of bulb it just says change it this way etc etc.

Disconnect the battery it is then lol