Electrical & Lights LED project

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Nelf, Monday 12th Oct, 2015.

1. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    Hi all,

I was given a Halfrauds voucher for my birthday and owning a Honda I was struggling to find bits I needed for the car, (not like when I was younger owning Fiats!!) so decided to spend it on some LEDs to give the car a bit of a lift.

No daft blue things, just a nice crisp white light.

Now I wouldn't normally get bulbs from this place but it was essentially free so no harm done.

I settled on these for the door cards, and boot - Halfords | Prism LED Bulb 501 White
    These for the number plate - Halfords | Prism LED 501 High Power White Bulbs

Unfortunately the ones I really wanted were the interior ones, but they don't do these (31mm festoon) So I ordered some from here -

The festoons should be arriving within a few days, at which point I will take some pics of all of them.

Dead easy job to swap them all too, the door ones simply pop the cover off with a flat head scredriver, the number plate you need to pull the thin black panel above the number plate off, that reveals the lens covers which just slide to the side to pop off and expose the bulbs. Make sure you put the bulbs in correctly as polarity matters. (they only work one way round)

Now, I was thinking of also doing the rear cluster bulbs (brake, tail and possible indicators) but have read somewhere that they need a resistor?? Also, I think our cars are duel filament for tail/stop - does this mean LEDs won't work as replacement?

Would appreciate if someone could give me a list of parts I will need that they know will work/fit in the 8th Generation please?

Thanks!

2. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    I saw Diode Dynamics has some nice kits for CL9/CU and they say they are using top suppliers for their parts like Osram and others. Also they offer 3 years warranty.
    I might order from them soon I want to replace my interior lights.

3. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks but the prices are way too high for the bulbs, couldn't see a specific kit for a UK spec Accord either?

4. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    You wiill look for TSX there (is an USA company) not UK Accord lol
    Good LEDs are not cheap, are much expensive (look at the prices for Osram/Philips LEDs) , cheap china made LEDs will illuminate cheap and last much less and could melt your plastics if not proper made to dissipate the heat.

5. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @dinoc , I am aware of the TSX's similarities, and search for it, I just couldn't find a kit, never mind... I guess it will be v expensive from them anyway.

Also appreciate your concerns over the cheaper quality LEDs, and whilst I can see it could be a problem I'm not paying hundreds for the rear end to look nicer when I'm not going to see it anyway, I just wouldn't bother changing.

But if anyone knows of the set of bulbs/parts for sensible money from a UK supplier that will allow me to switch from halogen to LED in the rear clusters, I'd be interested.

Thanks!