Electrical & Lights LED side lights keep blowing the fuse

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Bones126, Monday 2nd Mar, 2015.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi

I recently bought some Cree LED side lights which are 15w and 390 Lumens, original bulbs are 5w. When fitting the new bulbs and turning them on they blow the fuse straight away.

Any ideas why?
    Do I need to upgrade the 10amp fuse to accommodate for the increase in watts output (I'm no electrician)?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    LED bulbs need correct polarity, have the bulbs been inserted the correct way round ?

What happens when you try them other way round ?

Bones126 likes this.
  3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I'll have to give it a go @SpeedyGee but I've run out of fuses at the moment.
    I have it where an led bulb didn't work until I turn it around in the fitting but never blowing the fuse.

I'm going to try them in our other car later to see if they work in that, I contact the guy I bought them off and he is insistent there is nothing wrong with them and he test all bulbs before sending out.

4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Quick update, problem fixed.

The bulbs I bought have a chrome body, the bulb holder inside has the contacts the bulb slots into and additional metal strips which line the bulb holder and come to the end of the bulb holder. Not sure for the reason but they are there. So when the bulb was pushed all the way home the chrome body was shorting across the strips.
    To fix the problem I put small pieces of insulation tape over the strips that line the bulb holder, this allowed the bulbs to be pushed fully home and work perfectly now.

Sorry, I didn't think to take pictures as I was doing it :-/

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear you managed to get to the bottom of the issue :mosh:

Bones126 likes this.