Tyres & Wheels Legend Alloy Wheels and tyres set

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Sadsack, Friday 15th Nov, 2013.

1. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    Hey all,

I was at HH yesterday for my service and MOT and whilst waiting I decided to enquire as to the price of a new set of 18 inch alloys as my current set are fairly corroded.

Martin gave me a price for them but they were a little more than I wanted to pay even after a chunky discount. However Gareth popped his head around to tell me they still had a set of the original 17 inch wheels off their demonstrator including pretty much brand new tyres which they were willing to part with for a very decent sum.

If anyone is interested I would give them a call. I was really tempted however decided not to due to lack of storage space as well as the fact that I wanted 18 inch alloys in first place when i purchased the car.

Lol I am in no way affiliated with HH! But any Legend owners with 17 inch alloys who either need new alloys or tyres its a no brainer!

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I am looking for set of 17 for my winter tyres.Would they fit Accord and which one are they Mo.
    What do they look like.

- - - Updated - - -

legend alloy.
    Is this the one Mo?

3. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats the standard 17 inch Legend alloy isn't it? If so then yes that's the one. I have absolutely no idea whether it would fit the Accord but I'm sure someone will come along who knows the answer to that.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

OK thanks Mo.

Sadsack likes this.
  5. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    It won't fit Accord, Legend bolt pattern is 5X120mm Accord 5X114,3mm as far as i know.

AccordCU2 and Ichiban like this.
  6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the info.
    Might look on flea bay for cheap ish set.

7. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mo, have you considered having a refurb? I made a point of getting the 18 inch wheel option when I bought my Legend. One of the wheels was badly kerb damaged but as part of the deal, both wheels on that side were sent away to be refurbished. Came back looking like new.

Sadsack likes this.
  8. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I might just look at a refurb then. Only kerbed one alloy slightly but rest are corroding and bubbling.

Really wanted to treat myself to new set of 18's but 1500 quid a bit too much.

9. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the refurb. I'm in the same position. I love the 18 inch wheels but mine are corroding around the middle. £1500 for a new set sounds like a bargain to me. Last time I looked it was £500 plus vat per wheel. You can get the US Acura version in chrome for $375 per wheeel but you will have to pay import duty and shipping on top.

Bought my Legend when it still had some warranty. Only one wheel was affected then and only slightly. I was told it wasn't covered by the warranty. Annoyingly, I later read that others had had full sets replaced under warranty as it was a bad batch. Apparently this affected a whole range of Honda and Toyota wheels from a supplier in, I think, Poland. I did ask for a goodwill deduction on a new set from my local dealer but non was forthcoming.

I have one wheel that was refurbed before I had the car and it is slightly duller than the other three. There is another Legend in my town and it has a terribly dull looking set of presumably refurbed 18 inch wheels. This has made me reluctant to take the plunge, so it is great to hear that they can be done well.

Sadsack likes this.
  10. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

£1500 was from HH with discount which although very good, is more than I wanted to part with happily!

I have been given the details of an alloy wheel refurber from the Chipsaway chap who worked on my car recently. He assures me this refurber is meant to be very good but I am reluctant to take the plunge as do not want to be without the car. May wait till the spring before I decide anything. Want to change to Michelin Pilot Supersports all round (currently just front 2) and may get all this done come spring.

11. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

The wheels on my car where replaced under warranty about two years ago,the replacement set are bubbling already i will probably get them re furbed in the spring.A mate of mine paid £200 to a company in Birmingham to sort his wrx rims and they came back looking like new. The chrome rims you get in the states are really only good in hot climates and won't last long with the salt on our roads . Chroming aluminum is never really a good idea anyway. Besides i would hate to pay the postage costs for a wheel set from the states it must be a fortune.

Matt

12. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the black chrome 18"s and yes, a couple are scabby.

The problem is, the chrome deposition process is apparently illegal here, due to tree-huggers or toxicity or something.

The only alternative seems to be black chrome paint, which is dull & falls off. Unless you get them powder coated an alternative colour. PC is much tougher than wet paint.

OR, yes, a refurbed or new set off Fleabay.

13. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Its perfectly legal to get them chromed and there are many electro platers around who will do them for you problem is alloy is difficult to chrome due to the oxide that forms very quickly on its surface. With steels quality chromers will triple plate the steel with copper first to get a really smooth finish with aluminum you can't do this. Then throw in the complex casting shape of an alloy wheel and it really is difficult to prep. People don't realize that to chrome something you have to mirror polish the surface first, this is why chroming costs so much money due to the labor cost of the polishing, the actual plating process is quite cheap.

The options with alloy wheels are

Leave as polished aluminum and spend the rest of your natural life with a bottle of metal polish.

Polish them and get them clear coated this works quite well but does dull the shine a bit.

Powder coating really durable and hard wearing

Conventional paint

Get them chromed can be done but will not last 5 minutes a case in point my boss spent £4000 on a set of chrome brabbus rims for his merc he got them shipped over from the states fitted them in september and by march they where wrecked. When he moaned at brabbus for a refund they told him chrome rims are for show only and not for road use.

Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Its perfectly legal to get them chromed and there are many electro platers around who will do them for you problem is alloy is difficult to chrome due to the oxide that forms very quickly on its surface. With steels quality chromers will triple plate the steel with copper first to get a really smooth finish with aluminum you can't do this. Then throw in the complex casting shape of an alloy wheel and it really is difficult to prep. People don't realize that to chrome something you have to mirror polish the surface first, this is why chroming costs so much money due to the labor cost of the polishing, the actual plating process is quite cheap.

The options with alloy wheels are

Leave as polished aluminum and spend the rest of your natural life with a bottle of metal polish.

Polish them and get them clear coated this works quite well but does dull the shine a bit.

Powder coating really durable and hard wearing

Conventional paint

Get them chromed can be done but will not last 5 minutes a case in point my boss spent £4000 on a set of chrome brabbus rims for his merc he got them shipped over from the states fitted them in september and by march they where wrecked. When he moaned at brabbus for a refund they told him chrome rims are for show only and not for road use.

Matt

14. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

15. Rydo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    I have the 18s and again absolutely love them.

As far as I know the wheels are aluminium but yeah I have noticed the lovely shine to them which really drew me to the 18s.

I'll need to look further into the options listed but hopefully there is a way to get them looking new again.

Does anyone know the spec of the original wheels then? Black chrome?

Ryan

16. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yup - that's what I ordered for the PC.