Bulletins & Advisories Legend Front Brake Caliper Pad Retainer Broken

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Service News, Monday 3rd Mar, 2014.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Honda have released a TSB Technical service bulletin to the above situation seen on the KB1. TSB number SO-07-003-01 dated 28-02-14.

The Symptoms
    Front brake caliper pad retainers found to be broken at time of brake service.

The Cause
    It is suspected that dirt trapped between the brake pad retainer and caliper body caused the retainer's pad contact surface to lift, and repeated load at the time of braking led to fatigue failure of the pad retainer.

The Fix
    A Service kit part number 45023-SJA-305 is provided to repair affected vehicles which is now available at Honda dealers. During front brake pad inspection, if the brake pad retainer is found to be broken (A), remove the front brake caliper and replace the brake pad retainers in accordance with the following procedure, using the service kit parts.

NOTE:
    • If no damage is found (B), also check for lifting or twisting etc. and replace parts as needed.
    • Check for damage in removed brake pad and brakepad pin, and replace them as needed.

HKKB1Brakes1.JPG

The Repair Method

1. Remove the front brake caliper in accordance with workshop manual procedure. (if anyone wants this guide please let me know)
    2. Remove the brake pad retainer to be replaced from the brake caliper by removing the retaining bolt.(A)

NOTE:
      • It may be necessary to clean the head of the bolt before the allen key can be inserted properly.
      • Thread lock agent is applied on the bolt, therefore there is a chance of breaking the screw during the removal process. If that is the case, then replace the brake caliper assembly.
      • Do not disassemble brake caliper body.
      HKKB1Brake2.JPG
    3. Clean the brake pad retainer mounting area.

NOTE:
      • Do not use wire brush etc. that may damage the dust boots.
      • Do not spray cleaning agent directly on to the rubber parts.
      • Do not use cleaning agent that may cause damage to rubber parts and cause them to swell.
    4. Remove thread lock agent (B) on female thread (A) at brake pad retainer mounting area by inserting a finishing tap (5mmx0.80). After removing thread lock agent, clean the female thread with cleaner.

HKKB1Brake3.JPG HKKB1Brake4.JPG
    5. Apply marking (A) on the back of brand new brake pad retainer to indicate replacement has been performed.

HKKB1Brake5.JPG
    6. To check that the new screw will fit correctly and hold the retainer tight enough, use the old screw which was removed at STEP 2 and install with the new retainer, at the specified torque and measure the gap between the brake pad retainer and caliper,

NOTE:
      When using the old removed screw, make sure to remove thread lock agent from the screw thread.

HKKB1Brake6.JPG
    7. Measure the gap between brake caliper and brake pad retainer using thickness gauge. If the gap exceeds 0.1mm, repeat the process from STEP 3. If the gap is below 0.1mm, replace the screw with brandnew one and tighten again with specified torque.

HKKB1Brake7.JPG
    8. Following the same procedure, replace the other brake pad retainers.
    9. Install the brake caliper in accordance with workshop manual procedure.
    10. Test drive the vehicle to verify brake is working properly.:Grin: You are done.
    Can all KB1 owners who do their own brakes please report your finding on this thread.

The Service Kit Includes: (1 kit per caliper)
    You can use this bulletin as the guide for the repair instructions:Blink:

2. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Just bought a set of front brake pads from the dealer, they didnt say anything about that these retainers can be broken, two of them were.
    Now i have to get these and do the brakes again.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have a look when you do them mate, just see how bad they are.

4. Porkis Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Susan Cornwall
    Just noticed that I have the same issue listed here. has anyone actually tried to remove the old screw?
    I don't see it coming out without snaping the head off, especially after 8 years of salt and water getting in there in my case!

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jim you got a flexi bit with a small cutting disc attach to a Dremel or a pneumatic tool you can cut the old rivet out.

@Maintenanceman matey any updates on this which could help others.

6. Porkis Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Susan Cornwall
    Rivet? I thought it was a hex head screw holding the plates in?
    Surely cutting it off, leaves you with no way to reinstall a new plate?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Allen head if you want to be pedantic but cutting it off you need to remove the end and then tap it as the guide.

8. Porkis Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Susan Cornwall
    Hmm, I can't see how it's really possible to properly get a tap in there without splitting the caliper to create more room?
    I know there's an image showing a tap actually in there, but there's no room to physically turn it :Wink:
    Do we know if anyone has actually tried to remove these bolts and actually got them out, or is it the general consensus that they will just snap off?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How about cutting a slot across the Allen head then using a flat head screwdriver try tuning it after dozing it in penetrating fluid.

As shown in the picture its doable at small turns.

10. Porkis Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Susan Cornwall
    Okay, well, I'm pretty much missing about four half strips in total.
    I've cleaned everything up, and lightly copper greased it, and it may actually work .. the next few days will tell if the brake pads are happy with one corner each sliding in and out on the caliper casting, rather than the proper "slide pad" which is missing.
    If I've got nothing to lose, i'll certainly be giving it a go, and see if it's possible :Wink:
    I'll certainly update here if I end up going down that route!
    Thanks Ichiban, you're a star, and I've found all the info you've listed on this site to be invaluable so far :Wink:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The pads will wear unevenly and repeated heavy brake you can warp the disk so best fix it mate as the pads have room to flex.

12. Porkis Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Susan Cornwall
    Arggh, you're just full of good news!
    No probs, might look into just cutting the old ones off if they won't come out, and then "chemical metal bonding" the new ones into place :Smile:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry mate I don't do bodge and scarper and hope for the best it does not work .. never has never will.

14. Porkis Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Susan Cornwall
    Yep, I'll agree with that ..

Ichiban likes this.