Engine & Gearbox Legend KB1 valve clearances

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by mattyg, Thursday 24th Oct, 2013.

1. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi Folks

According to the hand book my valve clearances on my KB1 will need checking at the next service just wondered if anyone has tackled the job on a legend and does anyone know if they need adjusting much. I ask as I see that Honda changed the interval from 25000 miles to 75000 on the accord.
    Its not due for another few months but I've got a complete gasket set coming from the states in preparation for it.

Thanks

Matt

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    it will take time and patience to set the valve right on the KB1 and on a cold engine. Its a big job TBH even on the 7th Generation they don't need to be set at 25K miles 75K miles is correct interval as the valves don't get out of spec that easily.

3. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks

Are you saying that the legend won't need checking as well ? I appreciate that its a time consuming job but it doesn't look too bad once you get the inlet out of the way. My car will have covered 53000 when the next service is due

Thanks Matt

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You can check them you will find them within spec, so it's up to you if you need to be 100% sure ?you don't set the inlet then do the exhaust you want to complete one cylinder before moving on .. How will you keep track of which cylinders have been done. Will you be trying to do this or your garage.

5. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi sorry i wasnt that clear i meant when the inlet manifold is out of the way im going to follow the procedure in the ESM it looks simple enough and i am more than capable but my real question was do you think its worth having a look at this mileage or are Honda being over the top in their service schedule. I am also a little paranoid as i have had it converted to gas and now done about 10000 miles on it i would just like to look and make sure that the exhaust valves are not closing up.

Thanks Matt

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Matt, personally I wouldn't worry about the valves, I've converted many a Honda and never had any VSR issues. If you got a good flash lube system fitted, by good in this case would need to be multipoint flash lube system, you should be good.

But for your own peace of mind go ahead and check.

7. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok thanks that does put my mind at rest a bit to be honest, I do have a multipoint flashlube fitted but still intend to check the clearances as service time just for my own piece of mind.

Thanks Matt