Aftermarket Kit Legend LPG Conversion

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by rlbriverside, Tuesday 14th May, 2013.

1. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had my '56 plate legend converted to LPG at the end of March, and wonder if others have been through the process. too early to comment on performance and durability so far, but hopefully this will make this an 'affordable' mile muncher.

I can comment on price and spec. of conversion.
    Prins VSI 2.0 system with 76 litre tank (fills to 65 litres), offers 325-350 mile range at 71.9p per litre.
    I also have Prins valvecare fitted to extend life of valves and valve seats. (this is the big variable in terms of durability for me).
    total cost £1830 plus 5 days without my car.

i'll keep you all posted as to any performance, maintenance, reliability and durabillity issues.

My car is a '56 Legend in Lakeshore Silver, ADAS & CMBS, parking sensors, mudflaps, 17" wheels (now back on summer tyres). I'm the second owner, car has now covered 30K miles (had 22K when i bought it in November).

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Top job rlbriverside, you chose the best system Prins VSI with multipoint Prins flashlube. It may have cost you a fair bit but that's a "proper job".

5 day install, done properly, non of this "one-day-cut-all-the-corners-you-can" hackery.

Your car also still has Honda injectors :Smile: Keihen injectors that come with Prins.. Keihen is a subsidery of Honda

3. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Meant to say, the conversion has a 4-hole tank to speed up refuelling (now refilling is quicker than petrol). I am currently in the process of re-trimming the boot (as the tank needed to be deeper than the space-saver wheel well).

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Can you post some pictures up of the install please ?

A couple of the engine bay, boot showing tank, filler and inside showing switch :Thumbup:

5. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

will do, just as soon as i get i back. Currently having to run around in a Jazz whilst Honda sort out the outside temperature sensor. Sadly, it appears that this is used to calibrate the HVAC system (result is A/C on cold at -3, and full heat at +20). Hopefully they'll sort it (although obvious replacement sensor didn't! :Frown:

6. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    Hi,

That's a good price for a decent conversion. Thought it would be more than that.

Would be interested jlbriverside as to how car drives. Does it drive and sound the same as on petrol (sorry if that sounds like a silly question!)?

I was thinking about an LPG conversion, but am now torn between that or remap / extra power route (dreaming about turbos and all sorts!?!?).

Anyways, hope it goes well for you, and I bet it makes it even more enjoyable now you're not worrying about the petrol :Thumbup:

7. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

LPG uses 'yellow' injectors - so the power output is something close to 99%, i haven't noticed any decrease in performance so far. Sounds just the same (injectors don't affect the sound). I have as large a tank as I felt practical, so that range isn't compromised. 4 hole tank chosen for safety, reliability, and speed of fill-up, delivery of fuel.
    The injectors are manufactured by Keihin, so are essentially Honda injectors. It was a fiddly job, and I couldn't say whether the installation garage would consider repeating it for the same price (injectors aren't easy to locate - complex intake manifold i'm told).

I will upload pics when i my car returns (looks like today).

- - - Updated - - -

some things worth noting (as I did), when selecting Prins VSI 2 vs VSI:
    Injectors are pre-heated (better in cold weather & uses less petrol on start up)
    sequential change-over (smoother)
    3 year warranty
    nicer switch
    canbus compatible

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any pictures of the install?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Preheated injectors, nice touch. I wonder how they implemented that. Agis, the kit the I normally use, has had all these features for ages. They do the preheating by actuating the injectors at very high frequecy, high enough to warm them up but too quick to allow any gas to get through.

3 year warranty !! Now that is proof of the quality of the Prins systems.

I'm definatley be looking at fitting Prins in my next car.

10. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Please See images of conversion as promised: They're fairly self explanatory. Hope these are useful.

Pics uploaded as promised. Can you check that they're visible? Kind Regards

image-7.

image-2.
    image-3.
    image-4.
    image-5.
    image-6.

11. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No not visible I'm afraid - well not to me anyway!

On the aircon thing ....Not sure I've understood the symptoms you have described, but I was getting very poor heat and very little cold out of mine soon after purchase and the dealership diagnosed faulty external sensor. This didn't make sense to me as the temperature reading on the dash was identical to that on my other Hondas. So I googled a bit and found the Acurazine site from where it looked like possible gunged up cabin filter. Checked mine and it was full of thick black dust and leaves - £20 or so on a diy replacement and the aircon was fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, visible now. Thanks

12. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brilliant. Thanks. I'll check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Legend goes in for its 1500 mile check on LPG system next week, so i will at least (hopefully) be able to report that all is well.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Install looks really good :Thumbup:

Really tempted to get one of these now.

Whats do you get to a tank full and how many litres is the tank (apologese if you've already mentioned this) ?

- - - Updated - - -

Doh !! Ignore me .. you already stated that in your first post.

Last edited: Wednesday 29th May, 2013
  14. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Brilliant install that really neat the few legends that i have seen converted have had the engine cover butchered or removed completely . Where is the valve saver fitted? did you have the multipoint system fitted?. Can you tell us where you had it converted it really is a great job i have run lpg cars for a few years now and would love a legend having owned some of the previous models .

Thanks matt

15. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, both LPG system and valvecare are multipoint. The valvecare is just to the left of the engine cover in the last (engine bay image), looks like a small clear bottle. I'll try and upload an image with the engine cover off (when it stops raining).

kind regards

16. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks i can see it now but who installed it?

Matt

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I hate it when I see that. I try and keep the OEM look and would never look to cut any covers or mount anything that would cause the covers to be left off.
    Leaving off or cutting covers, that's just hacking and not proper engineering.

- - - Updated - - -

This is one of my installs ... can you see any LPG components ?

IMG_2044-Copy.

18. TimB New Member Getting Started

TimB
    Really useful reports thanks. Am thinking of doing the same. Can you say which garage did the conversion I think I would use them it looks like a good job many thanks Tim

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Where abouts are you from Tim ?

And were you asking myself or rlbriverside ?

I've not seen rlbriverside on here for a longtime.

Do you have a Legend you're thinking of getting converted ?

20. TimB New Member Getting Started

TimB
    Hi I am from Winchester but travel all over the country so can get to wherever this installer is. I'm just about to acquire a Legend and want to coinvert it thanks