General Legend LPG Questions

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by HarveyNSX, Monday 11th May, 2015.

1. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    Hi just in process of buying my first Legend (2007). I intend to convert to LPG. I have a local special it lined up Prins system 60litre tank. Flashlubs.
    Does anyone else run a Legend on LPG?

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

3. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    Thanks for the info. Will have the conversion done within 4 weeks and will monitor results.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    They run well on LPG the Legends do.

Just make sure you go a decent installer. What's the name of the company you are thinking of going to ? Do they have a website ?

5. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    Yes they are aka classics hythe southampton
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ajc cars

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Looking at their gallery of LPG installs AJC Classics/lpg conversion gallery they do tidy work but they have a habit of mounting the reducers really high up. Reducers (aka vapourisers or regulators) should not be mounted higher than the level of the top of the radiator.

Otherwise you will be introducing a massive air pocket into the cooling system. Air which can then move around the cooling system and potentially cause some major damage to the engine.

They have several pictures where they have done this, poor engineering on that front but other than that they do a tidy install.

7. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    Thanks for the observations. I can either suggest it tactfully or demand or go elsewhere. Any ideas on the latter bearing in mind I'm South?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've seen a lot of work from installers and to be honest, bar that observation everything else looks good.

Also, in a Legend engine bay I don't think there is opportunity to mount the reducer high up, so they will be forced to mount it low down anyway.

Do you mind if I ask how much they will charge for the installation ?

9. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    1700 plus vat

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's a decent wedge of money, are you doing the annual mileage to recover the outlay quickly enough ?

If you aren't doing that much mileage but still want an LPG system we could look at alternative companies in your area.

11. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    I h
    i have been in touch with dorset base lpg converter in Poole. He has converted a number of legends. He uses prints and one other of the top 3 brands. His price is 1600 incl vat. He was more interested in discussing and will go through the proposed conversion step by step once I get the car(later this am). I want a 70 litre tank will the boot need modification?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Annual mileage traditionally 20-30k

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Nope shouldn't need any modifications at all but you need to discuss it with your installer, depends what "type" of tank is going in.

Have a look through this thread Aftermarket Kit - Legend LPG Conversion

@rlbriverside had a 76 litre (65 litre LPG) capacity, full torodial four hole tank fitted.

13. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    Smashing I will do.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Mark, I've changed the thread title to be more descriptive of the thread contents (should help people looking for similar info in the future).

15. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    I have now visited dorset lpg. 60 litre max tank if I want to use the boot for my work purposes. BRG system rather than Prins! Cost. Single hole tank
    - - - Updated - - -
    Dorset lpg will do diagnostic test to see what shoes on dead telephone system

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You mean BRC system.
    What's the quote for that ?

17. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    BRC. Yup. £1400 estimate awaiting firm price. They are looking into the options to see if a bigger tank is possible

18. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    It seems the 4th Generations engine bay restricts the conversion and may involve cutting into the covers! Is this unavoidable? Also, Does anyone know if 60 litres is my best tank size I need to retain a useable boot space for my surveying equipment (tool box, collapsable step ladders, boots, hard hat etc)?

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hell yeah, absolutely avoidable cutting covers !

998519_527991360588751_468599566_n.

20. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    Good news. is this your car SpeedyGee?