Tools Let's Talk Rust

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by DeviateDefiant, Sunday 22nd Jun, 2014.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    So we have salted roads, our under carriages get rusty and over years corrode. Surface rust isn't going to kill anything, but it's ugly and we all hate seeing it on our cars. We can wire brush it off, paint over it, using special sealants. But what works best that's fairly easy to maintain, and doesn't cost the earth?

2. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    angle grinder with wire wheel attachment
    brush back clean
    treat with kurust
    paint with a zinc primer or etch primer
    paint with a stonesheild paint
    put a top coat of choice on
    then use an underseal to keep it all nice

***note this is a typical repair, not the "best" as that would involve 3M products that cost the earth***

3. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I really like this stuff....http://www.acf-50.co.uk/.....I know a few people who use it AND IT WORKS. If it's good enough to be used on aircraft it's good enough for for me.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

A few years ago, I'd have said smother the underside in Waxoyl once a year...but believe it really only works if you start before there is any rust present.

ACC-CDI-2T and PeteMM like this.
  5. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Nels and PeteMM like this.
  6. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Do not be tempted to use old engine oil

Although for the most part it will protect, but it contains elements that will aid corrosion. I am not sure on the actual science behind it, but seeing most classic cars that have been protected with used engine oil versus those that used a proper cavity wax, the difference is night and day.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I used this on my bikes and 1st Generation and it works really well. Everyone should have it. I have used 3m underseal on my first gen :Wink: nice matt and even spray.

8. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

steve4536 likes this.
  9. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think "Dinitrol" was the stuff that Hyundai used to use for their rustproofing, as it was added in the UK (I'm talking a 1996 car here BTW!).

It certainly rings a bell. They pumped it into the sills and arches, then covered the holes with rubber plugs. They re-treated it after 3 years too.

While I remember, the Bilt-Hamber range gets a good write up too.

Cavity Wax & Rust Proofing | Easy-To-Use Cavity Wax Products - Bilt-Hamber UK