Lexus GS450h

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nighthawk, Monday 30th May, 2016.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Interesting day today - back to Lexus to see the GS450h and to see another car. This second car is so awesome, I darent even speak its name until a bit later.

So, the Lexus GS450h is loaded with toys to play with. As standard, before you even hit the option list, it comes with heated and air conditioned seats, 16 way adjustable too, with zone control so the car detects who is in the car and only applies either heat or air con to those zones to be more efficient. Lexus is electric seats, (3 way memory controlled), electric and heated steering wheel, automatic handbrake (there is no handbrake you can operate, and no button - its fully automatic so handbrake turns are completely impossible), hill start technology, adaptive cruise control, auto wipers, auto headlights, collision detection with auto brakes, blind spot mirror sensors, 16 speaker sound system with 7.1 surround, air bags absolutely everywhere, rear view parking sensors and cameras etc. Everything is dampened so all cubby holes open and close with complete serenity. Speaking of which, the soft close fully auto windows all round are brilliant. They are incredibly quiet and I like how as they are just about to close, they slow down and silently shut. No thuds. Doors and boot close with a solid thud, no tinnyness anywhere.

A picture of the one I sat in today

20160530_113044.

Best of all, its Japanese, built there and shipped over.
    3.0 V6 puts out, combined with the hybrid engine, 343bhp, 0-60 in 5.9 secs and a top end of 155mph. So far, that meets the german competitors. Its about 2 inches longer than the accord, but the width is about the same. Inside, every single bit of panelling is covered in lovely leather, real leather, and the stitching is lovely. The dashboard is incredibly soft to touch and is also covered in some leather type material too. So far, so good. Oh, the 12.3 inch infotainment screen is fantastic too.

Started her up (I think) and it was silent. Glided out of the dealership on electric power only and got her warmed up then floored it. She accelerated lovely, not as quick as some cars I drive as there is a slight hesitation when suddenly going from electric to petrol, akin to say turbo lag, but that 0-60 was pretty accurate, and also even has a litte burble from the V6 although you can tell they have done a lot to keep it quiet. The thing that struck me the most was how quiet this thing was, at high speeds, you could easily hold a conversation at a bit over a whisper. I may also have accidentally slapped a golf back in its place whilst I was testing out the acceleration :Whistle:

I really really liked it. Its much more comfortable than the 9th Generation Accord I drove in Australia but also moved it when you poked it with a stick. I would however go for the F Sport model which has 19" alloys and a nice body kit as shown in the picture below.
    media. media1.

Onto the next car, the awesome one that I will only risk whispering its name.

Audi

Decided to see what the fuss was all about, why the press is constantly saying how amazing Audi, BMW and merc are, I drive a lot of different cars, but an Audi has never been one of them for a long time. Sat in an A5 to compare the quality. This was a 6 month old car with 3000 miles on the clock - a 2.0 ltr TSFI. The seats were kind of nice and the interior wasnt bad either. This is the nicest thing I can say about the Audi. Didnt come even remotely close to the Lexus though. Chatted to the sales rep and asked about what toys the Audi had (bear in mind, its 6 months old), he said, oh, heated seats and rear parking sensors. Ok, has it got adaptive cruise control? No. Rear camera? No. Collission mitigation? No. Automatic wipers? No. Blind spot monitoring? No. and so we kept going. They are all options, but you will pay for them, the Lexus had them all as standard, plus more. The Audi was 211 BHP and I never drove it. Sales rep banged on about Audi is the premium leading brand of prestige. I almost threw up.

Lexus trounced the Audi, alot more comfortable inside, oh, and the windows in the Audi whined and moaned as they operated - in the Lexus, you couldn't even hear them operating.

Japanese engineering wins yet again. Audi, get back in that hole that you deserve to live in. I didnt see anything about Audi today that would make me even consider purchasing one.

Is the Lexus a decent replacement for the Accord at the end of the year? Most definetely. Honda, you could build a car just like this if not better.

Last edited: Monday 30th May, 2016
  2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    They already do.
    I think if Honda sees that they can't really bring the Accord back then why not just being Acura over. I mean clearly everyone here is switching to a premium brand ie Infinity and Lexus rather than Nissan or Toyota so maybe Acura does have a future... I mean the TLX is a handsome handsome car. image. image. image.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

That front end in that picture is nice.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    208bhp from I4 or 290bhp from V6 and SHAWD. Not too bad interms of power either.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just? :Grin:
    Mind you I think Lexus are right on top of the luxury car game except they need to fix the front ends of theirs as I think the spindle grill is not really working. Thankfully Acura has abandoned their beak

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

No disagreement from me on this one @Nighthawk

I was as impressed by the GS as I was disappointed by the IS. If it wasn't for the useless dealer in MK I may well have progressed one last year, such were the discounts available on nearly new.

I'm not a huge fan of RWD cars, and since I'm going to be living in a (very) rural spot 2 miles away from the nearest B-Road shortly it's probably a good job I didn't get one as it goes.

The Audi thing is baffling. I know plenty of people who have had plenty of problems with Audis, and yet they return to the brand time and again. Overpriced, average to drive and with a questionable 'new money' image, I personally find it hard to understand.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

I don't understand either - Most people just accept the fact that they need to constantly be repairing their cars for the sake of having a badge on the front of their car. My Audi is great, even if its unreliable. Look at those peasants in their Japanese cars, day in and day out without having to even consider mechanical failure. Yes, my Audi is superior.

Perhaps thats why they all drive the way they do? Because if they don't get there quickly enough, they will have yet another mechanical failure??

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm afraid Audi - like quite a few 'premium' brands, and not just cars - have become seen by some as an indication of success or 'class.'

The irony is that buying something like an Audi actually indicates the opposite. Still, park it outside a new detached house on a big estate (sorry, I meant 'new village' lol) and it goes perfectly with fake marble columns and stone lions...:lol:

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

Just goes to show - buy a japanese car, you don't need to shout about anything whereas the other ones seem to feel the need to broadcast. With Japanese, you automatically know that you bought the right car and don't need others to agree with it. I parked the Accord alongside a whole bunch of Audi in their forecourt - I thought they needed a touch of class added to their rather depressing forecourt

9. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was actually impressed by the Lexus IS300H and would have bought one to replace my Accord it it wasn't for the poor ground clearance / breakover angle.

10. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I owned Mazda MX6's for many years and the worst MOT failure I had was on a then 19yr old J-spec version that needed two front tyres, a wishbone and a new rear calliper. Total cost was around £300.

I got rid of that for a Mondeo diesel because my dad is disabled and I could no longer get him in and out of a sports coupe, or fit a wheelchair in the boot.

Over the three and a half years I had that car... I replaced the following.

Power steering pump & tensioner (£525 inc labour)
    3 wheel bearings (around £120 each time inc labour)
    1 front hub assembly (pickup from a breaker and cost £100 inc fitting)
    Rear calliper & handbrake cable (£190 inc labour)
    Exhaust from the cat back (£165 inc Labour)

There were also normal wear and tear items like drop links, brakes, servicing and so forth.

Over the course of ownership, a car that cost me £2100 to buy cost me a further £1500 or so in repairs and unexpected maintenance. Plus wear and tear items.

Whilst I got great mileage from it, averaging mid 40's even when doing all short journeys and up to 60mpg on a long motorway trip, even though it was comfortable and had decent equipment (I had the Ghia X model)... I'd never own another one again.

When I had to replace it, she was suffering from bubbling rust on the rear wheel arch and a failing DMF/Clutch. Which was roughly a £1000 worth of repairs. I got £600 in trade in from the dealer I purchased it from. I immediately started looking a Japanese cars again. The Mazda 6 was high on the list but it's very hard to find a diesel with all the comforts and equipment I'd become used to over the previous 14yrs. I checked out Volvo's and even seriously considered the Skoda Superb until I found out about the issues with the 2lt oil pump failure rates and destroyed engines. I looked at Vauxhall Sigma's, Nissan Primera's and even Subaru and Mitsiushi cars. But when I found the Accord tourer for the right price I didn't hesitate and snapped it up. Always liked the shape of the tourer more so than the saloon... and they've always been just outside of my price range. when looking to buy. This time I picked up a gem... and so far it's not cost me much at all. I did have a scare these last few weeks that I thought could be the end, but thanks to Nighthawk coming over and cleaning out a few sensors and the EGR, she's purring like a kitten again... albeit and diesel kitten. :Smile:

Repairs so far have been almost nothing, just wear and tear items. New discs and pads all round, just about to replace both rear callipers (only one is binding, but replacing both all the same). Service is being done in the next couple of weeks thanks to Nighthawk once more... will also be flushing through brake/clutch fluid and replacing the gearbox oil.

So when it comes to buying a car... I will probably always lean towards one built and edsigned in Japan. Not because I love the country, but because the quality of the cars is simply better than what I've owned from European makers... Longer lasting, more reliable and often better looking.

Next car won't be for another 2-3yrs at least... but I'll certainly be looking for another accord. Probably around a 2011-12 model. A Lexus on the other hand... still kinda out of my price range, but I wouldn't say no to one.

Nighthawk and FirstHonda like this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

It takes more than a bit of dirt to kill a Honda :Grin:

The wifes EP2 needed some TLC when I got her and now she is also quite happily purring along the road. Hondas just do not want to die.:gohonda:

I will miss my Accord terribly :Sorry:, she has faithfully protected my kids and been very reliable and taken us all to nice places with no unexpected dramas at all. I also trust her - I know that I can just jump in her and drive to Scotland without a second thought, knowing that she will take it in her stride and not think twice about it. The Lexus makes the most sense in my situation at present although it would be nice if Honda had something to compete against it that we could purchase in this country. Some of the USA designs are lovely and would work just fine over here.

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lexus are such a nice cars and really nice place to be.
    I've never driven one but work colleague have 2006 430LS and he gave me a lift few times in it.
    It's silent inside and outside,
    seats are big and comfy and very comfortable.
    I wouldn't mind one that's for sure.

13. Nighthawk Guest

Im pretty much sold on the Lexus I must say some on here will be happy to hear.

14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The USA designs might look nice, but I sure as hell wouldn't trust the build quality of anything built over there. The Ford Probe was based on the Mazda GE chassis (and the GD chassis before that) whilst all Euro and J spec MX6's were built in Japan. The difference in build quality was massive. With Ford Probes rusting through and failing whilst the MX6 was going strong.

Personally I'd love to see the return of the MX6... it was a very under rated car that handled like a dream and had the smoothest torque curve and power delivery of any coupe I've ever driven. What ever succeeds the RX8, if they are able to retain a rotary engine with all the emissions laws coming in... I think they should bring back the MX6 using the same chassis as a hybrid... a small engine for recharging and electric drive train.

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Gorgeous car, the Lexus' are superb piece of engineering and the quality is second to none. I am not suprised to hear about the Audi, they are not anything special at all, only reason why people find them nice is because they compare them to Ford's, Vauxhall's etc, in which case they are nicer. However I wouldn't compare the S5 to the GS, would be a bit unfair, the S5 is quite old platform now to my knowledge and based on the A4. The A6 is nicer and comparable to the GS.

Anyway great choice if you go ahead with it and it will be a step above the Accord.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The GS-F

Oh my.... :dribble:

2016-lexus-gs-f.

legend-ary likes this.
  16. Nighthawk Guest

The GS F is a gorgeous looking thing. I could only wish...

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    My friend bought a brand new Audi A3 couple of years back, I think it was 19K basic and on top of the he added 10K (YES 10K !!!! of optional extras). No wonder these ruddy companies are doing well !