Lexus IS300h

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nighthawk, Thursday 19th May, 2016.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I know this is a Honda forum, but with them no longer making the Accord, and people considering other options out there, I felt it was ok for me to slap this in here for others to get an idea. As most of you know, I am likely to be selling my Accord towards the end of this year and I have been looking around to see whats around on offer. Just like when I was at uni and going out on a Friday night , I have seen a few prospects that I have been thinking I would like a ride with. :Whistle:

First up - Lexus. This is the hybrid with a 2.5ltr 4 cylinder engine under the bonnet.

20160519_114107_1.
    Picked her up and drove to DD's house for us to have a good look over it together. First things however - I really like the styling of it, it looks fantastic, not so sure of the black alloys on this particular model, but the rest is lovely. She is riding on 18" Bridgestone Potenzas

So, you get in, start her up and absolutely nothing at all happens other than the infotainment system turning on and a small greed "READY" light on the instrument cluster. Up to 30mph, she will run solely on the battery if you wish to do so, above that, the engine kicks in. DD and I were playing a game trying to feel and listen when the engine starts up and stops (without cheating and looking at the dash) and neither one of us could ascertain when it did so. Completely seemless.

The seats are lovely, the interior is nice, no cheap horrid plastic and everything is screwed down solid. This car had 500 miles on the clock so I would hope that there werent any rattles. Steering wheel is fantastic to hold too.

What truly amazed me about her is how she handles. Slightly longer than the Accord (put her side by side with DD's K24), but squatter. The steering is incredibly precise, possibly one of the best steerings I have felt in a long time. She just grips and grips and nose just points and shoots. Had a spirited drive down some country roads (had DD holding on throughout most of the country road drive :Laughing:), and she was brilliant.

Very quiet inside, we were travelling at comfortable speeds shall we say and we could hold a conversation without raising our voices at all.

So the bad - and possibly the thing which will turn me off. She handles brilliantly, but she needs more power. On paper, she has more than my Accord, and is probably a bit faster too, but not hugely. With such a lovely chassis, she is craving more power.

Secondly - and most importantly, I don't know if I can live with a CVT gearbox. Felt weird sitting at 6k constantly, the rev counter not moving, but the speedo doing so instead. No sensation of drama in any way at all. Gearbox was incredibly smooth, could not feel it change gears at all.

But it kind of ticks most of the boxes. I think I have finally decided that I want something which is calm and relaxing to drive, something that I can ponder around in on the way home from work, after spending the day driving quickly, something to unwind in. This lexus kind of does it. It needs more toys, but to be fair, they are available, just not on the above model I drove, but whilst I want something to be able to be quiet as I drive it, something to help me relax, I also want something that does those things but also when I poke it with a stick, it takes off. The hybrid system is fun to play with however - gives me all sorts of new games to play in the car (Can I trick it? How long can I drive at 30mph upsetting people behind me before the engine kicks up to charge it back up again? Who can I scare in the village by creeping up on them without them hearing me? How close can I get? and the best one - MPG?)

So, Lexus - loved it as an overall package, just needs more power and I am not sure if I can live with a CVT gearbox. That is possibly a deal breaker for me. Other than that however - Il take one.

Oh, drive to DD, spirited drive and one back again, MPG of 47.2. Thats not too shabby and it was still going up.

20160519_131228.

Comparison to the Accord? Not fair at all - there is 10 years plus technology difference between the two, so it would be no contest... but I still love my Accord and to be honest, I look forward to getting her back tomorrow.

Last edited: Thursday 19th May, 2016
    exec, Bo_ and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I really liked the car overall, the interior was a nice place to be - the seats were comfy. Only down point was the piano black bits and the touch temperature controls that seemed a little counter-intuitive and gimmicky.

She's bloody quiet, seems to brake fantastically and definitely out-handles my '07 right now - but that's no big claim with how she is at the moment. I was impressed.

I'm sure it'd make for an excellent family car, and I'd drive one as a daily without too much moaning - except, it needs more power :Laughing:

exec and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  3. gongoozler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah memories, I had to sell my (proper) IS300 a while back and bought the Honda for practical reasons, the original 300 (6 cylinder,3 litre, 25mpg) is a beauty and I miss her (nothing but the usual consumables went wrong in 7 years of ownership!! negating the MPG) but my own opinion is that the new Lexus saloons just look like another Mazda! I love Lex as a brand, and going to the dealer is actually a great experience! Looked at the Lex competitor when looking at SUV's nice, fast, but the Honda pipped it as I needed practical with a capital P. I think I will return to Lexus soon.....but I must admit to more than a passing interest in the new A series Merc, and the forthcoming Tesla.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    A relative of mine replaced his Civic Hybrid with one of these 2 years ago and I have a chance to be a passenger quite a few times. I think I agree with most of what you have noted and I do agree that acceleration is a bit weird due to the CVT.. I love the centre info screen as the interior reminds me of the LFA. Lol might be irrelvant but after 2 years the whole front lip of the bumper is full of stone chips but thankfully his is a black metallic so doesn't show as much.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I found it was certainly well screwed together, but I was VERY disappointed with the quality - although that was 18 months ago now. As I've said elsewhere, the CT200 and GS I looked at were far superior IMHO.

I actually remember saying on here that the interior quality in my 8th generation was easily a match for the IS300. The Infiniti Q50 interior was far superior I found. Much as I hate to say this, Audi actually make the best quality interiors I've seen...I'll run away now!!

:sorry:

dbrooks65 likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

Im looking forward to driving the q50s for sure. An issue i know of already is that they depreciate like a rock in the first year

7. gongoozler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, it all went a bit wrong for Lexus when they introduced the 'new' 200 oil burner, awful unreliable engine and average screwing together........priced/aimed for the reps market. A really old good LS400 (the original) still surpasses big time with smoothness, noise (Lack of it), equipment and performance (V8).......bargain at £4000! In fact now I've written that I might just have a peep on Auto Trader!

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Which makes them an epic nearly new purchase!

:OTT:

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

Dropped the Lexus off this morning and found a few nice touches I quite liked. When you wind the windows up, (all fully auto), they wind up nice and quickly however when they reach about an inch away from closing, they slow right down and close gently and totally silently. I also like the little touch that when you approach the car in the dark even before you unlock it, it lights up the interior and wing mirror lights automatically.

Chatted to the sales rep for a bit, and so far, their customer service has been brilliant, although I am aware that this could be just to get a sale. I am generally a very good judge of character and of people and can tend to see quickly when someone is just going through the motions for the sake of it. This sales rep was actually really decent. Anyway, he showed me the sea of trade in vehicles they have. There were a lot of Mercedes, Audis and BMWs, I would say around 30 or so in total. I saw one Honda Civic and a Toyota GT86 which surprised me a little to see that there. He mentioned himself about how poor german cars are and started showing me poorly aligned doors in a Merc and one of the BMW's.

He paid the Accord a lovely compliment - he stated that if I did decide to go for a Lexus, whilst they would happily accept the Accord as a trade in, he stated that she is in such good condition, that I should sell her privately as a trade in value would be insulting. He stated that he doesnt normally tell people that (and looking at their part exchanges I can believe it), it wasnt just sales talk. I told him that I was going to look at an Infiniti Q50S to which he looked at me, and stated - Well, the only thing the Lexus has going for it above that is possibly the customer service and the fact that Lexus retain their values whereas Infinitis don't. He openly admitted that the Infiniti interior is higher quality than the IS300 but to let him know either way after I have tested one. Even with an IS300 fully kitted out with all the toys, it doesnt come close to the kit a Q50 has stuck in it

An honest salesman?

legend-ary likes this.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Pretty much every salesman tells me the same about part-ex, offers low, then gets to a decent number to close the sale!

I wouldn't equate 'good at his job' with 'honesty' if I were you...!

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Interesting read, I really like the new IS and would love one in the future as a used buy but the drivetrain limitation is pretty offputting, they also make poor manual gearboxes so autos are the only option. I tried a CVT box in Yaris hybrid and thought it was wonderful and fun too, something a bit banzai with the engine screaming at 6k, the car felt as fast as my Accord.

Also didn't realise these were similar in dimension to the Accord, whats the interior space like compared to the Accord?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ed the GS will naturally have a better interior its a class above, its the same with BM's, Audi's etc, the A6 and 5 series interior are superior to the A4 and 3 Series. My bro in law has a b7 Audi A4 and the interior quality is about on par with my 17 year old Accord! Heck in some places the A4 is worse, the glovebox is plasticky, the one on my Accord feels solid and lid closes with thunk and the inside is all felt lined, even some of the plastics you don't see is better like the center console that goes to footwell the plastic on the Accord is solid, on the A4 it's flimsy. The A4 does have better fit and finish in certain places but thats more due to the fact its more modern.

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I get that with the GS, but why is the CT200 - a smaller car - also benefitting from (what felt to me) like a better quality interior than the IS300h?

I drove all three last year, and liked the CT and the GS, but not the IS. I've said it before, but it felt built to a price...to me anyway.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Not sure, the IS interior is based off of the Ct200 so really they should be no different. The ct200 itself is basically an Auris in drag.

14. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    Nice ,nice,nice motor,ref CVT,I have one on the insight, it grows on u