Engine & Gearbox Light Clutch Pedal after high revs

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by bluetester, Friday 27th Dec, 2013.

1. bluetester New Member Getting Started

Nathan Wales
    Hi everyone, i have a strange clutch problem and i cannot find any solution online at all. So i thought i would ask all you experts :Smile:

Problem: Clutch pedal goes light and needs 2/3 pumps to get it back to normal.

Occurrence: Originally i set my cruise control rather high when i was driving in Europe and when i came into a fuel station the clutch pedal was light and needed a few pumps. This was the first occurrence and i panicked a bit since i was in Europe...with no European breakdown cover!

Recently: Once i start using high revs, floating around and above 3k RPM. The clutch goes light again.

Test : Now looking at forums online someone invented a small test to see what happens. The test being stick it in neutral and keep the revs at 4k for 30 seconds and the clutch goes light.

Solution : Apparently some Accord owners have taken their car to the Dealers and they haven't found a solution. I have yet to do this, i plan on visiting Llandudno/Chester Honda Dealer to get my own opinion.

Tried Solutions on other Accords : Greasing the fork apparently reduces the issue slightly (i cannot see this working and must be the solution to another problem). Another is a full clutch and flywheel replacement, this has been tried on 2 ocurances and solved 1 vehicle but not the other.

Other than a light clutch pedal for 2/3 pumps is not really a massive issue, I've lived with it for best part of 2 months (3k miles ish). But i could do with some re-assurance and possibly in case i need to sell it in the future. I want it to be a faultless car, especially as it got Full Honda Dealers work folder.

Any advice or previous experience would be beneficial. Like i said, there are occurrences and post relating to this...but no solution. A £600-800 full clutch and flywheel replacement is a lot of money...especially if it doesn't solve anything.

FYI....I have put pics of my little car in the garage, have a look :Smile:

2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

in the old days a clutch that needed to be pumped, usually meant air in the system I don't know if that still applies today :Search:must be something simple if no other symptoms grinding or slipping e.t.c

3. bluetester New Member Getting Started

Nathan Wales
    Thanks for the reply. Well that was my immediate thought. However the clutch feels fine all the time except after high revs. If there was air in the system, wouldn't it be spongy all the time? I'm not loosing any clutch fluid neither.
    The clutch does not slip neither in any gear.2

4. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I am not sure of the particular car but in my experience air in the system would show at any time when using pedal but it may be for your car different and only happen at higher revs, you won't lose fluid unless you have a leak but if there is air it can be a very small amount and very hard to trace without bleeding the system. the clutch won't slip if it is air when you get it in gear only, wear on the clutch/parts will do that. it may be worth having it bled before going to too much, trouble then if still the same its back to the drawing board lol:Hey:

Ichiban likes this.
  5. bluetester New Member Getting Started

Nathan Wales
    Thanks again for the reply. My plan is to get the clutch system completely emptied, filled with new fluid and bleed it with a mechanic mate first weekend in Jan. I cannot see this being the issue, but need to give it a go.
    Second/third weekend in Jan it will go into a Honda Dealer....and i can get my 1.3 Honda Jaaaaaz for the day again :Smile:
    Will keep you updated sometime in Jan.

6. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

good luck hope its a simple enough fix whatever it is :Thumbup: