General Light Upgrades?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neil, Thursday 9th Jan, 2014.

1. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    Hopefully I will be picking up a 6th Generation this month (fingers crossed) and usually the lights are not that good, brightness wise.
    My 5th Generation lights were rubbish so upgraded the bulbs.
    Are there any upgrades that can be done apart from the normal bulb replacements?

Like upgrading to LED or wouldn't that be allowed? :Smile:

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

WOO YEAH! Another 6th Generation owner. You've got three options as far as I know:

1) LED's would look good but won't pass MOT.
    2) HIDs are very good but costly to implement, I haven't seen it on a 6th Generation so far.
    3) Or you could do what I did and buy some Phillips xtremevision bulbs - I have some before and after photos if you want to take a look. If I remember correctly you need:
    DIPPED
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001B4TJVA/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_M3T1_dp_1

MAIN BEAM
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00440CWCG/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_M3T1_dp_1

Neil likes this.
  3. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    It's a shame you can't upgrade to LED's but those bulbs do look impressive and at a good price, will add those to my shopping list. :Thumbup:

4. TonyK7ng Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

can u post before and after pics please mate?

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Philips bulbs are just brilliant, perfect for the motorway and those twisty dark roads in Canterbury.

Before:
    2013-10-31 15.46.16.

AFTER:
    2014-01-29 17.22.55. 2014-01-29 17.23.01.

Big difference right, whether it's worth the £15 premium over standard bulbs is debatable due to short life (apparently). I barely do 5k miles a year and maybe 1k of that in the dark so I'm not too concerned.

Last edited: Friday 13th Jun, 2014
  6. TonyK7ng Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've always brought my bulbs from Redline on Ebay. their 6500k bulbs are the dogs, give a great xenon look and come with a 12month no quibble warranty.
    Me and a load of my mates have used them for years and they never fail, the 1 time 1 did at 11months and redline sent a new pair free of charge.
    :Smile:

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It seems a lot cheaper than the Philips ones I got, any pics mate?

8. TonyK7ng Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've not brought any for my accord yet. will be buying some tomorrow so will post pic as soon as they arrive mate :Smile:

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice one, I was considering changing the fog lights but couldn't justify £20 seeing as I hardly use it. Redline bulbs could be exactly what I need.

10. TonyK7ng Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What fitment are your fogs mate?

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

H1 I think

12. TonyK7ng Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Redline do a complete set so 2x h7 + 2x h1 + 2x 501 for just under £9 mate. You won't be dissapointed as I'm ocd with my bulbs and I think these are better than my other Phillips, osram and ring bulbs. :Wink:

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's very tempting, problem is more than the colour output was that I wanted long distance viewing which is why I went for the Philips. That said take a pic of your set and I'll probably buy it.

14. wingzero25 New Member Getting Started

I'd opt for Osram Night Breaker or Plus, only drawback is a shorter lifetime. I've upgraded my fogs to Yellow Tinted ones as they work best in fogs & heavy rain. Avoid Blue tinted bulbs, good to look at, but light output is terrible, may as well drive with lights off. As for LEDs same principal, look great but LEDs don't produce a good enough beam most use them as sidelights. The legality of HIDs is tricky, but the rules as of 2012 Jan are they must be equipped with washers & self levelling sensors, but to pass them it is still at the testers discretion.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've compared my Philips xtremevision bulbs with my mates fiesta's Osram nightbreakers and I can tell you for a fact that the Philips bulbs produce a much further reaching light. We also think that the bulb is brighter but we cannot be sure seeing as we have different headlamp reflectors etc.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If you want to stick with halogen, Philip's "X-tream Vision" are top of the game. If you want even better, get a decent HID upgrade kit, Kensum ones cost about £40 and are great quality in general.

For dipped, I would definitely avoid LED due to the light spread from them, but they're a must for sidelights, and won't do you badly on fogs either.

Chunkylover53 likes this.