Electrical & Lights Link between MAF sensor and DPF regen.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by John Cavalier, Wednesday 29th Feb, 2012.

1. John Cavalier New Member Getting Started

Hi, can anyone please offer help or guidance on a tech query?

I have an 08 Honda Accord 2.2 I-DTEC. The Check DPF light came on and the car went into limp mode so I had to take it to a dealer for check/reset.
    I asked why I did not get the DPF pre warning (whereby you should take the car for a motorway drive for 15mins) and after diagnostic check was told the MAF sensor was just out of range.
    How or can a defective MAF sensor make the ECU think the DPF is blocked?
    The car was given back to me reset with the same MAF and has been fine so far. Dealer sais it could be OK or may fail again, just wait and see.
    Any advice?
    John.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome to AOC it can be a bit of both scenarios , they only was to definitively say is to hook up the HDS system to the car and drive it around whilst it capturing the data.

The snapshot data will then be able to accurately say if the why the reading are out of spec. reading the MAF reading stationary or reading it after the fault can lead to wrong assessment.

3. John Cavalier New Member Getting Started

Well a honda dealer gave me the feedback. I think I heard the mechanic say the diagnostic checks are carried out with the engine running, I'm not sure though. My trouble is I'm not very trusting of mechanics as I feel they prefer to refit rather than fix ( no disrespect to the better ones ) and I hate not being able to fix stuff myself.
    I did ask the honda mechanic if it would be worth cleaning the MAF but he said it would be pointless.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry if you don't trust the Honda garage or technicians, so how are you going to fix this issue? I am guessing you are going to randomly disassemble parts may even attempt to cleaning the MAF to satisfy your quest.

What if it whilst cleaning and it makes no difference and you damage the expensive MAF who is going to fit the bill then.

5. John Cavalier New Member Getting Started

Your right I guess.
    It can be frustrating when you have a vehicle problem and there is no clear fix. Often people go back and forth to mechanics with the same problem and the costs can creep up to a very hefty amount.
    I will just see how it goes as advised, but make sure once a week the car has a 15 minute motorway run to keep the system clear.
    DPF removal was interesting, with the assurance of passing MOT on current regs, but the uncertainty of passing MOT in future is off putting.
    Thanks for your input though.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi John is your car still in warranty if so then you have a failback to get these issues resloved, howbere if you do any work yourself anf ciase damage and Honda suspects it then you are own your own.

As for DPF regeneration follow this guide and other valuable information regarding the DPF in our forums and home section.

There is a lot of negative and poor advise out there surrounding 8th Generation DPF which doesn't help matters.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    John , How did you get by resolving this problem?