Off-Topic Linux - Virtual Machines and Performance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DeviateDefiant, Sunday 15th Jun, 2014.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    So I finally made a jump I've been wanting to make for years a few weeks ago, I moved my main work machine to Linux. Everything I run for work generally end up being some Debian derivative, and needing a LTS (long term support) distribution I ended up with Elementary OS. I was close to running a "bleeding edge" Arch Linux set-up, but caved to the sensible route.

I love it, I love my new work flow and I'm happily jumping in and out of virtual machines for Mac/Windows apps when needed, but I've hit a huge problem. I just don't have the performance I need out of Photoshop.

48582_oeNx6Wy.

I've a pretty beastly rig, the noteworthy parts (full spec):

Part of the performance is down to currently pulling all my work files remotely from the home server (21TB server on a 152MB line), that can't so much be helped, but I can work locally and upload manually when needed. The rest is all down to limitations of my VM software.

I'm running Photoshop CC on a Windows 7 instance through Virtualbox, I'm limited to 256MB of virtual video memory. Given that I have a really high-end graphics card, there's got to be a way to harness more of that power? I'm simply not able to work well on several hundred MB website PSDs and other large format documents.

Anyone know of other VM software that will allow me to utilise my hardware better? Or alternatively, could I dedicate another physical graphics card to the VM?

Kinda a long shot on here, but thought it worth asking.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Impressive set up you've got there. :eek:
    You're working at a level far above me, so unable to help with your issue. :Unknown:

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Your alternatives are VMWare, Parallels and QEMU.

Without looking in to it I couldn't tell if what you are asking for is possible but I'm thinking that QEMU could be the one.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've looked into the three and it doesn't seem like I'm going to get any better performance out of it, aside from configuring and dedicating a graphics card just to the virtual machine on a separate monitor - it's all pretty messy. I've now got Photoshop running in Wine, but again I'm running into the same issues with performance as it cannot utilise the power of my graphics card.

At this rate, considering how much it's dampening my work flow, I think I'll be going back to Windows for work and dual booting. Same time, I really want to stick my ground.