Engine & Gearbox Liquid Intelligence 115 Synthetic, Waterless Engine Coolant

Discussion in '1st Generation (1976-1981)' started by Ichiban, Sunday 21st Oct, 2012.

1. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    Ever since I have owned the first gen the one thing I have never been able to treat is the ever increasing engine temperature in stop and go traffic. My first gen was laid up for more than 20 years before it was put back on the road and all these years the old coolant was degraded and has left the internals rather neglected.

When the car was put back on the road the thermostat,radiator cap,all rubber hoses were replaced with new parts and the radiator were removed and thoroughly cleaned. On yearly preventative maintenance tasks the cooling system is flushed with fresh Honda type 2 cool.

Every year at the time of flushes the coolant reservoir bottle has a layer of rusty sludge at the bottom and the coolant has crusty particles of rust.On a litmus paper test the coolant PH value is slightly towards the acidic side which is not good hence the yearly flushes.My car normally come out only when there is glorious sunshine and if I am caught in traffic condition the engine temperature soon start to rise above the halfway mark towards the red zone. The outside temperature may between 25-28 degrees the water temperature is nearly to 90 degree C,to combat this I have to turn the heater on to get the heat dissipated quickly within 10 minutes the coolant temperature is well within normal range.

The only thing for me the car get unbearable with the extensive heat in the cockpit I have to roll down all the windows and take breaks to cool down.:Angry: Sometimes I can't do that on motorways I just have to suffer in silence and pull off at the next junction for me to take a breather. This year I was fed up of this and wanted to find a solution and started to search and seek out classic car enthusiasts who experienced this issue.

Just to clarify first gen Accord engine block is made of cast iron hence the rust ,the modern Honda engine have all aluminum engines which cannot rust.:Wink:

I found a company base in Australia who have cured the overheating by making a completely synthetic waterless nano-fluid called liquid intelligence 115 super waterless coolant.

The advantages are pretty impressive and a lot of racing team including motocross and enduro team use this coolant to combat overheating seen on their small radiators. After speaking to a lot of guys in Australia they have conceived me this product is the only one they recommend for my issue.I have also purchased liquid intelligence 239 engine cooling system cleaning kit which claims to remove ferrous and mineral scale and recondition the rusty surfaces.I have ordered the two products from Mainlube International who are the european distributors.I will post a full detailed DIY and progress update next year.

I will do the flush and treatment over the winter period and take pictures for the forum. For owners who are thinking for looking for a complete synthetic coolant look at this product :Thumbup:

Attached are a few PDF from the manufacturer.

View attachment Liquid Intelligence 239 Engine Cooling System Cleaning Kit.pdf

View attachment Liquid Intelligence 115 Test Report.pdf

2. Dave Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Barnsley
    Guides:
    Oooh is this the stuff they just used on the TR6 on Wheeler Dealers last week? Think they said it was around £90 for it, that was waterless coolant hadn't heard of it till I watched that lol

3. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
  4. hedleyf Premium Member Club Supporter

Name:
    Dave
    Jersey Channel Islands
    Hi,
    Interesting, I've stripped loads of heads,coolant pumps etc on iron heads and even after 15/20 years found the block to be like new,even vauxhalls and fiats,in fact been completely amazed at thier condition, a good coolant or antifreeze should not be causing rust problems, do you think its whats left in the system over the years?,if the coolant is up to 90 it would seem ok as most cars run over boiling point, a lot of later cars have stabilizers on the gauges so not to alarm the driver until necessary where the old gauges moved up and down quite a lot, will it overheat and is the electric fan cutting in?
    I do remember mine running hot at times in traffic and not wanting to damage the engine or head I fitted a manual overide switch to the rad fan relay and when in traffic and it was getting a bit warm I could manually from the dash switch on and off the cooling fan.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    Hi mate, I have gone down the entire schematics of engine overheating,as long as the car is moving the temperature is fine the minute you stop and idle it creeps up and if it a hot day it get worse. The fact I have to run the engine on unleaded makes the engine run hot but not to such extremes ..The radiator fan runs when the car get hot the carbs are tuned and set correctly the valve lash are perfect and the car behaves perfectly.

I reckon during the layup time the coolant used was well past it sell by date or the system was half full leading to top half corrosion and sedimentation.The fact I have crusty grains of calcium or rust indicates the coolant was never changed before I got the car.
    if they used basic tap water then it will make matters worse, The thought of running the fan on a overide switch has appealed to me and even removing the thermostat just in case it got stuck.

Let see how this cleaner works prior to the waterless coolant the advantages outweigh the need for water\glycol based coolants in the cooling system.

6. hedleyf Premium Member Club Supporter

Name:
    Dave
    Jersey Channel Islands
    I think you could be right about the sediment in the block, not so sure removing the thermostat is a good idea maybe test it,when you think about it when the cars is that hot it should be open anyway ,would not be so good on warm up as well, but if only using it in the summer it may well pay off, looked at those links for the product looks good and my hobbies being vintage restoration this is of great interest.

7. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    I will keep an eye on it , I just want to see how much rust this treatment does kick out. I have just seen the TR6 episode of Wheeler dealers and saw the Evans waterless coolant.

I do like their Automotive Prep Fluid to remove all traces of water before you go for the waterless coolant.

Like you bud everyday is new learning experience.:Wink:

8. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    Just a quick update,after today meet came back home got my overhauls on and got to start the long process of cleaning cooling system then treat the system with a neutraliser.

I have drained the Honda type two coolant and begun the first stage of treatment.

image.

9. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    First stage mix 5 scoops (the scoop is provided with the kit) of part A with 5 litres fresh water , run the engine for three hours flat. I have to maintain water temperature at 70 degree c for the treatment to take effect, idling the engine at 30 minutes intervals. One hour down two to go .. Rust sentiments at the bottom of the coolant expansion bottle.

after this I will do the part B process
    image.

10. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    Thirty more minutes to go the water is absolutely filthy .. The corrosive nature of part A has certainly picked up all the curd up , you can smell the acidic fumes .Will upload some YouTube clips soon.

11. MickyB Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Name:
    Mick
    Wakefield West Yorkshire
    Can we use it to make alcohol we'd make a fortune HIC HIC HIC

12. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    Its all yours "Micksters Cider"

13. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    The Part A fluid made up 5 liter, I added the bleed funnel just to show how the water looked when the process started and when I finished. Pretty dramatic,tomorrow I will run the Part B process.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  14. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    As you can see the Part A mixture has picked out a lot of white sentiments :Aghast: having let the waste water settle down in a bucket it clear there is a lot of white residue,I expect this to be scaling but no sign of any rust yet? :Unknown:
    photo(1).

Now to the Part B and suddenly the water is brown and really mucky here is the remain of the rust at the bottom of the bucket. during both stages of the operation the entire system was extensively flushed and dried. photo(2).

The internals of the radiator before the process

photo(4).

The Internals after both of the process you can see a difference.

photo(6).

photo(5).

I am just waiting for Evans Cooling prep fluid to arrive so I can safely chase out all the water out of the system. Liquid intelligence does not have a suitable product for the same.

w7nEJ.

Once I am satisfied there is no trace of water I will then get the Liquid Intelligence waterless coolant into the engine. Just look at the can its taken a hammering whilst arriving to me :Aghast: how the thing didn't leak is beyond me?

photo (4). photo (3). photo (5). photo (2).

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Name:
    Speedy
    Birmingham, UK
    Guides:
    Given the age of the car dude, that looks like one clean rad.

Are you going to undo any pipes attaching to the engine (like the one going to thermostat) to check how clean it is on that side ? Or are you happy that enough rust has been shifted ?

16. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    I have removed all the pipe the rad has been removed drained , new thermostat all rubber hoses checked. The acid test is when the coolant goes in and we will see what the car does.

17. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Huddersfield
    Guides:
    Will leaving the engine without water not cause it to rust up again. Just thinking of brake discs after washing a car. Interesting stuff though.

18. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    No water means no oxygen the stuff is synthetic and if I remove all traces of water corrosion will never appear as long as the system is always full.:Wink:

19. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Huddersfield
    Guides:
    Sorry I thought you meant you were going to drain it completely and leave it without any coolant until you put the waterless stuff in. How long does the waterless coolant last before it needs changing?

20. Ichiban Co-Founder Staff Team

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    yup it is empty just waiting for the prep fluid which will absorb the water out of the system before the waterless coolant goes in.

Additionally the dehumidifier running in the garage so it nice and warm keeps moisture away.They say this waterless coolant has a long shelf life more than 10 years without replacement as it won't boil evaporation is non existent.