Electrical & Lights Live feeds

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by thumper, Wednesday 6th Feb, 2013.

1. thumper Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    I need to pick a live feed for a in car camera. Don't know if it's going to be perminent or off the ignition yet. Does anyone know of a safe place to pick the power from, other than direct from the battery?
    Many thanks.

Simes likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Depends where yo'll be placing the camera. Cig lighter is a good one (by that I mean the wires at the back of it).

I wouldn't think your camera needs a permanent live, this would kill the battery pretty quick I would think.

Which camera are you installing out of curiosity ?

3. thumper Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Its a Mi-witnes camera. It has a parking mode so when some Knob hits your car and drives off you have a chance of tracing then (yes, this is the reason I've bought them. cheaper than the cost of paying for repairs out of your own pocket.:Rant:) I've spoken to the supplyers/developers and they say the camera should be ok on standbuy for a couple of days or more. You can also unplug the camera from the other end, for this tho it needs a perminent supply and the cigar plug is on the ignition isn't it?

This is the camera HOME - Mi Witness HD - Vehicle Accident Camera System - Car Cam - In Car Camera - Cars Camera - Commercial Vehicle CCTV

Last edited: Wednesday 6th Feb, 2013
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm in the process of fitting something very similar. I'm just waiting for a slightly warmer day to fit the camera now. I've used fuse 6 as a permanent power supply (it operates the interior lights), and fuse 9 (cigarette lighter) for the ignition 'switched' power feed.

I've spent hours trying to work out the best way of fitting mine, more to the point hours on my back with my head in the drivers foot well studying the fuse box, to pick up the correct power feeds. The best advice I can give is use these. ADD A CIRCUIT - FUSE TAP - PIGGYBACK -EXTRAFUSE- MINI BLADE TYPE | eBay Make sure you get the mini blade type. This is the supplier I got mine from.

Also you say your camera has a parking mode on it, does it have a power module on it to stop it draining the battery while it's in this mode?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If needs a permanent live then easiest option is to install a fused connection off the battery. Ensuring the fuse chosen is correct rating for the camera.

6. thumper Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    This was my inital thought. Just wondered if there's anyone out there who's found a safe live in the cabin. I'll hopefully be getting round to it this w/e so will post my decision when I make it.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone else has an interest in these cameras I can have a chat with the chap I delt with and see if they can do some sort of club discount.
    Just let me know, and CJ if Im going about this the wrong way just let me know.
    Cheers

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You could probe the fuses in the fusebox to see which one has a permanent live going to it. Then tap into the wiring on the fused side.

8. thumper Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Ok, I've ordered the fuse piggy backs and will decide on perminent or switched at a later date. I'll try to keep you all posted.

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As I said before fuse 6 is a permanent power supply and fuse 9 is a ignition switched. They are both fused before the fuse box so I really don't see the point in running a separate feed from the battery, you're just duplicating what is already there. My camera came fitted with a cigarette lighter adapter so they're already designed to use this power feed. I got a power module for mine which has a voltage regulator in it, it monitors the battery voltage while the ignition is off and the camera's in 'monitor' mode and cuts the power to the camera to stop it draining the battery. The instructions for it specifically recommend to use the courtesy light and cigarette lighter feeds for both power supplies.

I spent a lot of time trying to work out how and where to tap into both these feeds, then considering other feeds that might be more accessible. The quickest and easiest option is the piggy back fuses as it requires no modification to the cars original wiring. And if you want to remove it and fit it in a different car it's just as simple to remove.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just taken a look at your link for your camera. I have to say it is very expensive. I got a Blackvue dr400g-hd which has all the same features and it cost £170 off ebay 9 months ago. It has a 1920 x 1080 resolution @ 30 fps where yours is 1280 x 720 @ 30 fps. The model I have, while it also records in HD has been superseded by a newer model (the V2) which has an even better camera resolution.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Sorry Doc I missed the fact that you had already stated explicitly which fuse was permanent.