Off-Topic local sayings & their meanings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Malibu, Saturday 18th May, 2013.

1. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

local sayings & their meanings

What are the local sayings or words & meanings around you?

even though I only moved up the road from south to West Yorkshire, its funny how the sayings / meanings differ!!

No one had heard of Mardy or what it meant & I I had no idea what a ginnel was meant to be!

What are local words or sayings to you & what do they mean

- - - Updated - - -

Also when people talked about 'doylums' I thought they were crackers
  2. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ginnels a funny one in our house. The wife calls it a Snicket" I call it what it is,an alley :Grin:

We get all sorts of confusion in my house,she's from Leeds and I'm from south london. :Smile:
  3. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I bet you do- I called a ginnel a gennel - and what about bread cakes? That can cause some real fun!!
  4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't you mean bread buns???

When I first moved here after leaving the army I got a job on security and my supervisor was from Barnsley and he used to call everyone cock!!!
    That was very confusing as I thought a cock was for ??
    Waking people up in the morning:Grin:
    Last edited: Friday 21st Jun, 2013
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You alright cocker! was that a Blackburn lanky thing?
  6. godzilla84 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, I've heard that used a lot in Manchester when I worked there. In Liverpool an alley is either an "entry" or a "jigger". It amazes me how much phrases can change over a short distance. My other half did her nursing training in Warrington and picked up all sorts of random expressions from the natives that confused the bejaysus out of me.
    Last edited: Wednesday 26th Jun, 2013
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup it amazes me too the local variation with 50 miles of anywhere.I have a fascination in picking up all these local lingo make interesting conversation when you can't say it right like the locals.:Smile:

I heard "ur alright cocker" whilst I was working in Widnes for a boss who had a very broad Lancaster accent. One of pet hates in Leeds in fellas calling fellas "Love"

send shivers down my spine when I hear that..
    SpeedyGee likes this.