Tyres & Wheels Locking Wheel Nut

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by TheDarkKnight, Saturday 20th Oct, 2012.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just replaced one of my rear tyres today due to a puncture - noticed that the locking wheel nut key is frazzled. Its cracked in the centre of the grooved pattern. Still works, but wondered how much a replacement one will set me back?

Also, would it be worth swapping for aftermarket locking nuts?

Thoughts welcome.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate if you got the locking wheel nut key code , check the service folder it will have a card with the Julian date number.

Call HH they will give the key code they will be able to get one the same one they are not expensive, time and time again if people and technicians use pneumatic guns on the locking wheel nuts they will get frazzled.After all the metal on the locking wheel nut is soft metal and not designed to be used with excessive torque, if you look careful there will be a sticker on it warning about pneumatic guns :Wink:

The key will be cheaper solution than a aftermarket kit bud.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeh I'll have a gander later. Since I've had the car I have never allowed air guns near the lock nut - always torqued by hand, and even then its not tightened, let alone overtightend.

I'm more glad though that I had a full size spare wheel to use rather than the stupid can of gunge or a pancake-wide spacesaver. No substitute for a proper full size wheel IMHO.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Then it should not have happened could you take a picture of the business end of the locking wheel nut mate ?

5. Superdave Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Saj

How are you doing?, the full size spare wheel I bought from you earlier this year has just been over to the continent with me, thankfully didn't have to use it, agree with you completely.

Dave

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes I'll dig one out tomorrow bud. I wonder whether its happened when I have used it before when taking wheels off to clean them - the crack is actually not on the "patterned" bit that slots onto the nut - the crack is behind it on the plate where the pattern stud is mounted.

7. leonmk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Saj,
    I noticed you said you have a full size spare wheel in your boot... Does it fit into the boot well without the carpet being raised? What size and width etc is the wheel, I would get a spare for mine if I thought it would fit or at the very worst even a space saver instead of the TRK

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The carpet does rise, but by less than half an inch - primarily since the well is only designed to fit a space saver not a full size wheel. The size of the spare I have is identical to the other four mate - 225/50/17.

I bought another set of four Accord wheels from a guy who changed his alloys - he wouldn't split so I bought the lot and have sold the other three (one is pending sale as we speak to a member here) and kept one for myself. Member "Racy Jace" bought one off me and he too can verify that it doesnt make that much difference at all. I will add some fresh pics for you tomorrow of the boot so you can see for yourself. As it is, the four wheels were a damn sight cheaper than paying for a spacesaving pancake wheel.

9. leonmk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's good to know! Yeh put up a few pics that would be great thanks! Will have to keep an eye out for a spare on net!!

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll do so tomorrow mate, I have a reminder set up :Thumbup:

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dave

My apologies Sir, completely missed this post of yours! :Blushing:

Glad you had the redundancy of that spare wheel on the continent - always a worthy piece of kit instead of that can of gunge that most car makers supply you with. :Thumbup:

12. twomeyn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

''check the service folder it will have a card with the Julian date number.''
    Hi IchibanAccord ,
    what is the Julian date number exactly in service folder ? should it say Julian?,i've have no wheel nut lock key,there Mcgard as far as i can tell,need to get wheels off,any suggestions?Halfords do a lot of Mcgard but Matching them to mine is tricky as they all look the same but have differant codes.

13. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Also look under the boot floor with the jack. Mine is in a plastic pack, Honda lock bolts, with the key nut and keycode card.

if you don't have it you need to visit a Honda dealer who can get one for you.

or you would need to buy one of these tools to remove lock bolts.

14. twomeyn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ha..It was the honda dealer who told me i didnt have the key....and that they couldn't get wheels off,bloody disgrace...have tried everywhere in the car,will try another honda dealer.pain in the neck it is

15. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    I seem to have lost my locking nut. Would this help me with the replacment? Someone seem to have wrote some digits on the packaging?!

IMG_20161016_100606.

16. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Big thanks to Holdcroft honda who supplied me replacement locking wheel nut. The written code 937 was key in getting me a replacmemt

Ichiban likes this.
  17. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No pun intended
    - - - Updated - - -
    :gohonda:

18. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Hi,
    Im going to get a full size spare wheel, what would be a reasonable asking price for a good used wheel, I've been quoted €130 delivered, which i think is ok?

19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Sounds like a good price. Is it on steel wheel or alloy?

20. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    It's an alloy

legend-ary likes this.