Suspension, Steering and Brakes Longer trip in my CR-V

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by RichT, Sunday 31st Mar, 2013.

1. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went for a longer drive in my CR-V today - down to Kent for a family get-together, about 230 miles for the round trip.

One thing I have noticed it that I'm struggling to get a really comfortable driving position. Long term back pain means I have to be very careful how I sit while driving. The geometry of the CR-V seems designed for a more upright set-up, whereas I prefer the seat to be more tilted back. But if I do that, there doesn't seem to be enough in-out adjustment on the steering wheel to suit me. For the return journey, I got it set a bit more comfortable, but it's still not as good as I would like.

Apart from that it was great, really smooth and pulled like a train. It was really noticeable how much quieter it was going over the sections of the M25 that have a concrete surface. These would usually produce a loud whining noise in other vehicles, but is much quieter in the CR-V. The greater weight of the vehicle became a bit more apparent when going up the steeper section of the A249 towards Detling, where other cars I've had have nipped up without a problem, the CR-V needed a bit more effort.

On the return journey, I stopped to fill up with diesel. I have configured the computer to automatically reset the 'A' trip meter when the tank is filled and was pleased to see that, by the time I got home, the average consumption since the fill-up was 50.5 MPG (highest I saw on the trip was 50.9) :Smile:. Part of that was due to the lengthy section of roadworks on the M25 with 50 mph average speed cameras (though the long bit where we down to walking pace couldn't have helped). However, most of the trip was 65 -70 mph. This makes me more optimistic about fuel consumption when the weather finally improves and I'm not just travelling to and from work in the cold.

2. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    That's good new about your fuel consumption. I have yet to do a long journey in mine, but I am getting 38mpg on my urban runs, which is what I was getting with my Accord ICTDI.

3. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is your CR-V Manual or Automatic ? I had an '05 diesel where I was getting around 42-44MPG on Motorway (seemed to hit a wall around 70mph) - replaced with Accord and found only 6 MPG better.... Am interested as on the radar if/when replace the Accord.

4. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine is a manual. I had been considering getting an automatic this time but, from the reviews I was reading, the unit fitted to the CR-V causes a significant increase in consumption :Frown:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rich have you tried to lower the steering wheel and pull the steering wheel toward you ? there is sufficient room to get the ideal position. How tall are you?

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

50mpg is splendid.

I'd be happy with 45mpg from the new CR-V in all honesty.

7. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

CJ - I have been experimenting with various settings on the steering wheel. I definitely need the steering wheel at its maximum limit towards me. I'm approx 6ft tall, but my legs and arms are rather short so I don't fit neatly into average sizes :Blushing: I'm sure I read in one of the reviews of the 4th Generation CR-V, that it has less in/out steering wheel adjustment than most cars and I think there were right! On the way home from work today, I tried lowering the steering a bit more, it was OK but I really need to try it on another longer trip to see if it's a genuine improvement.

TDK - The 50mpg was for a run that was virtually all motorway and starting off with the engine already up to working temp. For an overall average figure, I totally agree that 45mpg would be very good.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hopefully if I can ever get a deal I am happy with (I'm a picky sod!) then I'll also look forward to joining the CR-V club!

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Filled up my tank this afternoon with Shell V Power Nitro diesel and was pleased that I averaged 41mpg which included 50 miles towing. I have yet to do a long run so it seems this I-DTEC engine in the CR-V is very economical. I never bettered 38mpg with the Accord Tourer I-CTDI, and that did not include any towing.

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've almost finished my first tank - I still have range for over 151 miles. I will probably fill up this weekend. But at the moment, I have done a mix of m-way and urban driving and the CR-V is showing some 42.2mpg.

Once I get back onto my more regular daily m-way jaunts, I expect it to be closer to 50mpg.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Need to have a CR-V diesel MPG poll? TDK you want to kick off proceedings do a summer one and winter one?

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yep I'll set one up :Thumbup:

13. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I took my CR-V to the dealers at Southport this morning and I am stunned at the fuel consumption reading. Normally, it shows between 37 and 38mpg. This morning it showed between 45.5 and 46.7mpg.

I filled up with Shell V-Power Nitro the other day and I also added 300ml of TSO. Not sure if it's the new Shell diesel or the added TSO. Whichever it is, I'm very pleased. It appears to be far more economical than my Accord Tourer I-CTDI.

When I filled up the other day it worked out at 41mpg full to full. On that basis, when I next fill up it could be over 50mpg. Honest John was impressed with the fuel consumption of the CR-V he road tested, getting over 50mpg when he had his foot down.

Last edited: Tuesday 28th May, 2013
  14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did quite a bit of urban stop-start jaunts yesterday - even then the computer was showing around 47mpg. I suspect its actually over-estimating.

Once I get back into longer runs, I'll see how things fare.

15. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    If anything, mine is underestimating. I'll know next time I fill up.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A request
    Need the pair of you to do a diary with pictures then do a blog underestimating and overestimating i-MIDs. This debate has been a long running myth and it needs busting

Please do it.

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Funny you should ask that CJ.

Decent run out this morning. don't ask how many miles I did, I can't remember, but mostly on the M40 earlier today.

Notched up over 55mpg. I'd say this is accurate as I didnt slow down or speed up - stuck to about 65mph which is just fine. Cruises along far better than the Accord IMHO, probably as it has more bulk/weight to soak up the pain from the ruined British roads...

Last edited: Saturday 6th Dec, 2014
  18. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I'm supposed to be going down to Dorset in my caravan on 9th June - if my electrics are sorted - so it will be down to consumption when towing. I'll be filling up before I leave but it won't be a huge mileage.

I'm impressed with my CR-V as I never thought I would get this mileage. It will be interesting to see if I can beat the Accord which used to average about 29mpg when towing.