Engine & Gearbox Looking for an Accord

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ab2012, Thursday 17th Oct, 2013.

1. ab2012 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone. Seen a 2.2 2005 with only 20,000 on the clock> I'm wondering how it could be so low? Obviously through not driving it much but still seems odd?

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Firstly I'd steer clear of any car with that low mileage unless it's been stored/garaged properly, it's probably been a city runner or spent long-times standing between trips.

Secondly, the pre-facelift 7th Generation I-CDTI are probably the least reliable of all modern Accords.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hallo bud , are you going to do mega miles with your new accord? if not a 2.0 saloon will keep you sweet 2.4 will give a bigger grin.

petrols are 99% more reliable than the diesels

4. ab2012 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies. I'm on a budget of about 3 to 5 grand. Mostly short journies with weekends away. So you reckon petrol? I was hoping this forum would have a classified section. Anywhere good to look? This low mileage, absurdly low mileage one, is on vertuhonda site. It's at Durham Honda I think.What's the ones to look for on my budget?
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Apologies if I've put this thread in the wrong section).

Last edited: Thursday 17th Oct, 2013
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You would want a petrol for your needs fella the diesel maintenance which this car demand there are no saving to be made for short journeys at all.

I see you have a S2000 so a diesel ..:nea: 3 to 5 budget you can get a petrol car it may need a clutch brakes and other bits as the will have miles piled on .

6. ab2012 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You've just depressed me :Smile:
    Yes, looking to garage the S over the winter. Of course doesn't have to be an Accord .Drove a Jazz but found the steering a bit wayward. I'm no mechanic, so don't want any car that needs major work doing to it.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well you can be lucky and find a low mileage 7th Generation with no issues but strange things have happened. As long as you are willing to wait and search these cars, they are out there its a case of finding it.

3rd Generation Jazz are good cars and steering are ok on that fella the 2nd Generation have single phase electric motor on the steering so you will get that vague steering feel.

8. ab2012 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'd be interested to know who has bought their Accords
    - from a Honda dealer
    - other garages
    - privately
    Is there a for sale/wanted to buy section here ? Can't see one.
    Thanks

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bought my Accord from Honda dealer.
    There is for sale/wanted section and it will be visible to you after certain amount of post and time spent here.

10. ab2012 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I'd better start posting then as I'm knocking on a bit :Smile:
    Personally buying privately would be a risky business, but the're very few and far between at Honda Dealers from my research, at least with my budget, which it seems I'll have to up a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Took your advice and stayed clear. Is the 2 l petrol considered the best to go for? What do people think?
    Thanks

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'll be selling my 2.4 LPG'd Accord soon. 2004 Exec spec, tinted windows, OEM spoiler, fantastic condition inside and out. It's one well looked after car. All the advantages of a big petrol engine with economy of a diesel.

Only thing is I don't know exactly when I'll be putting it up, could be a month or two away yet.

If you can wait and your interested let me know

12. ab2012 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's kind of you to mention that. Just spent half an hour looking up LPG :Smile:
    I'm not mechanically minded. Seems very complicated to someone like me. :Smile:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Not at my friend, you turn the key and drive the car as normal. Only difference you will notice its easier on your wallet.

I took a trip upto Manchester today, 220 miles round trip from Birmingham, think it cost me about £20, not bad for a 2.4 litre engine :Smile:

14. perfect pete New Member Getting Started

hi. i bought my 2.2tdi sport estate from a private buyer via autotrader. the guy was an engineer and it came with all the service history. it's been a great car so far. I'm currently thinking of buying another estate. 2009 onwards this time maybe an ex-fleet car and buying from an auction. just not sure yet....... I think it's a case of not being in too much of a hurry but when the right one comes along buy it cos it won't be there long. good luck with getting one. keep the thread updated, it's interesting to know the final outcome.

15. perfect pete New Member Getting Started

hi there, still looking for another 2.2 diesel. newer model from 2009 onwards. my main search is on autotrader and most cars are high mileage ex fleet. prices range from £6000 for a very high mileage to £8000 for one a bit lower. i contacted BCA and finally got someone to tell me the buyers fee 1% of the hammer price, so on a £6000 car its £600 plus another £50 of other fees. he also gave me an idea of the prices paid. so to summarise it doesn't make sense for me to buy at auction when independant garages are selling them for much the same price with a warranty etc. i've decided to keep on looking on autotrader and see if anything really good comes up. i'll keep posting to let you know how i'm getting on.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Errrrm 1% of £6000 is £60 not £600, that would be 10% :Smile: