General Looking for my next car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcalvarez, Monday 8th Jun, 2015.

1. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Jose Dunfermline
    My current Accord saloon(7th Generation, 2.0 petrol) is now almost 10 years old, I love it but I'm starting looking for a more spacious replacement. I'm mightly pissed with the current Accord tourer, can't fit a fencing bag across the boot, while I can in my saloon, how they managed that I cannot figure.

I tried the new Civic Tourer 1.6, can't believe how noisy is, both road and engine, and the engine feels like having built-in traction control, you press the accelerator and nothing happens...basically discarded it right away.

Next will try a CR-V with the new 1.6 engine, hope will have some extra poke.

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm slightly surprised to read your view on the I-DTEC 1.6 Civic - not that I've driven one, but the media usually note performance as one of its stronger areas compared to the competition!

I may be wrong, and you are 100% right to go and drive one, but I can't see how a bigger CR-V with the same unit will be any better, if not a bit worse.

Bear in mind that the 2.2 litre diesel CR-V has only just been discontinued, and there are some very good deals to be had on new or nearly new pre-facelift cars. Members on here with the 2.2 speak highly of it, so it may be a better option for you?

3. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I mean ther *new* 1.6 engine, with 158bhp. It is only available with the new CR-V
    Also, they usually compare the Civic 1.6 with other anemic green engines from VW and the lot, not to a 2.0 petrol.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Fair enough, should be an interesting test. I didn't realise the 1.6 in the new CR-V was tuned differently (I assume it must be the same basic unit?)

Good luck!

The latest issue of What Car? tests the new 1.6 CR-V and describes the engine as having "decent flexibility" but "mediocre pace." That was with an auto gearbox, though.

In the same issue they test the 1.6 Civic against the BMW 1 Series, Audi A3 and VW Golf, and put it top for performance, saying that "...the healthy 118bhp whisks it up to speed with little fuss or drama."

They do note it is rather noisy though.

Will be interesting to hear your views, bound to be more accurate than the motoring press who seem to have a VAG obsession!!

5. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will update when I get the opportunity to drive the new CR-V. The local dealer does not have a 158 version at the moment.