Pre-Purchase Looking to buy a FR-V (not sure which one)

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by billy786, Tuesday 10th Nov, 2015.

1. billy786 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Billy Manchester
    Hi,

Hope you are all well.
    Currently the owner of a 2003 Legend (LPG) and need something a bit more economical and more child/family friendly.
    Considered a number of mpv's but have always had a soft spot for the FR-V.
    Ideally I want an Auto since driving Auto's for the last 10 years as my daily drive.

I do less than 10,000 miles a year (work and personal) work journey is 13miles there and 13 miles back (mainly dual carriageways and small motorway stretch of a few miles).
    Love the idea of a diesel but the FR-V autos are only the 1.8 petrol.

I suppose the question is '1.8 Auto Petrol vs 2.2 Manual Diesel'
    For those of you who have these 2 cars can you share your experiences please?
    Would be inetersted in;
    Reliability
    Running cost
    Economy
    How good are the gearboxes? reading a lot about squeeky clutches?

Eeven thou I am very pro auto at the moment I think i need something with better MPG so diesel has the advantage at the moment.
    I do have other questions about the FR-V but will do on seperate threads.

Thanks in advance

2. neil graham Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Go for the Auto 1.8 because you like auto. I've got the 2.2 diesel and they are a bit thirsty for a diesel. FR-V are in short supply aim for a low mileage one. If u can get an extended warranty in the deal even better. Both a cars are good.

3. billy786 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do enjoy the autos but willing to sacrifice to a manual if there is a general concensus that the diesel is better and less problamatic?
    Is the 2.2 block the same out of the accord? I thought they deliver good MPG, is it because the FR-V is heavier ?

4. neil graham Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yes its the same engine as the accord. yes FR-V are heavy they are very well built mines has 100k on it no rust and solid even over engineered parts. Diesel is a powerful car FRVs arenrt diven fast to much fuel so go for the petrol. The warmup time is alot quicker nicer than cold diesel in winter.

5. billy786 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply.
    Do we have any auto owners that I can hear from ?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yep, I have an auto, mines actually a 2.0 auto Edix (so imported Japanese version, click on my garage entry in my signature for more details). The 5 speed auto is spot on, changes gears smoothly and predictably, makes driving the FR-V a very laid back affair.

I went for the 2.0 petrol for the extra grunt. The 1.8 engine just seems a little under powered lugging the big FR-V around, the 2.0 has ample power to comfortably pull the FR-V around.

7. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    I've just brought my 2.2d FR-V up with me to shetland :Smile: after 3 months without her I'm glad to have her back with me!

My usual commute was 25 miles each way all dual carriageway but quite hilly .. I stuck her on cruise at 65 ish and I was getting about 50mpg according to the computer.

In shetland she doesn't even get warm I live that close to my work and I'm struggling to keep the MPG in the high 30s .. but with that amount of miles it won't matter.

Second the comment that they're well made. Very robust! I love mine
    Hope this helps

8. billy786 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds like positive feedback for both and everyone seems to be enjoying their FR-V.
    Really can't wait to get one because I am not in an immediate rush I can scope the market.
    Am I right in saying the 1.8 autos are UK cars and the 2.0 autos are Jamp imports?
    @SpeedyGee - going through the pic snow.

9. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    Swap you mine for your legend :Smile:

10. billy786 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tempting - Legend is in decent condition but LPG is playing up at the moment.
    The legend in the shetlands? with all those hills I dread the MPG lol.

Seen a few jap imports on ebay, with the jap imports are all parts the same as the UK specs?
    Servicing parts / brakes etc and the bigger components as well?

Why didn't Honda make a 2.2 auto diesel ??

11. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a 2.2 diesel
    Economy is okay, average 35mpg around town and 42 MPG on motorway but drive the car quite hard
    Running costs seem decent so far
    Reliability no different to other Honda's
    Gearbox on diesel fine but clutches made from chocolate, mine started slipping after purchase. If the clutch hasn't been change previously with the upgraded/revised clutch then factor that cost in the future.
    Your commute could suit the diesel with it being longer.
    I find the FR-V no bigger than other cars despite the space inside. Unlike other mpv's which are huge. It's lighter than our previous car (3 series) which I was surprised about.

12. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Another with the 2.2 diesel here.
    Good car and plenty of power with 6 people in and boot full, I have had mine remapped with an economy map and it runs great. Around town up to 38 MPG and on a motorway run sitting at 70 up to 50 MPG.

I've not had any experience of the clutch slipping and don't believe it has been replaced prior to me buying the car, mine has 85K on the clock.
    Not had any issue with reliability either, always starts and runs well. Only thing I have had to replace with the frequency solenoid which cost 145 quid as i was getting the MIL light come on.

Ben28 likes this.
  13. billy786 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the feedback so far fellas really appreciate it.
    Would love to hear more specifically from the auto users.
    Please carry onw ith the feedback for the diesel model as well.

14. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another diesel here ,160k, original clutch (I think). Don't buy an FR-V for economy, neither the petrol or diesel are economical. If you drive close to 80mph (on the autobahn offcourse) you'll be lucky to see 40mpg. reliability has been good but like all diesels the clutch and DMF can fail.

I like the low down grunt of the diesel, it allows you to move the FR-V without having to rev the engine. the petrol engines develop peak torque at higher revs. This is not suited as well as the diesel in lugging a heavy car around town. I haven't driven a petrol FR-V so take that with pinch of salt!

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I really have no issues with 2.0 Petrol lump in my FR-V/Edix. It conformatably moves the car around town with no issues whatsoever. I would imagine that the 1.8 may feel under powered though. Economy ... well I get that from the LPG sustem.. I think I worked out that I get the cost equivelant of 55MPG around town (or was it 50MPG), it would better this on a long run.

So I've got economy that's better than a diesel, ample power and the reliability of a K Series engine ... happy days :Grin:

FirstHonda and DeviateDefiant like this.
  16. billy786 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I currently have an LPG tabk in the spare wheel.
    Where do you keep your tank? Boot space is very important to me so really don't want to mess with the boot too much.

Brilliant reviews all round guys - I think I am sticking to an Auto and will make sacrifice ont he 1.8 lump even thou it may not be very powerful I think I can live with it so going to keep eye open for 1.8 auto now.
    Will consider LPg currenly have it on my Legend (already installed when I bought) I got 2 and abit years fault free but its playingup now and its an unknown sysetm.

Can you tell me more about LPG on the FR-V what size tank you have / where it is stored / what make you have?
    Thanks

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Last edited: Monday 16th Nov, 2015
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Did you have any unanswered lpg questions @billy786?

19. billy786 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quiet impressive that you did it all yourself.
    What kit did you use?
    What real time figures are you getting?
    Does it switch over without any issues?
    How often do you fill vale fluid?
    How quick on a cold start does it take to switch over?

I have decided now on a auto 1.8 however if I see a clean jap import may go for that if the milage can be verified.
    Not rushing to buy going to take me a few months so you may see me popping up on here from time to time but hopefully will join you all soon as it seems to be a very good friendly forum.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks, I'm an experienced installer, must have done 50+ LPG installs now.

On this one I think I used King ECU, MagicJet injectors and KME Silver reducer.
    But what I say time and time again to people is, it's not the kit that matters it's the installer. Vet and choose your installer well, let them decide what kit to install. A good installer will make a budget kit run superbly whilst a poor installer can make a hash out even the most expensive kit.

The Edix is costing around £8/100 miles to run around town (I'm paying 40p/litre). It would do better than this on long runs.
    To put that in perspective it's like getting 62.5MPG in a diesel (assuming diesel is £5/gallon). :Grin:

I'm insulted, I installed it of course it switches over without issues :Tongue:

More serious answer, it's seamless, you wouldn't notice it all.

A couple of minutes, probably within a mile when stone cold. Instantly with a warm engine and not long at all on a slightly cooler engine.

Usually we half fill the petrol tank, that can last upto 6 weeks.

A 400ml full bottle should last about 1000miles.

Some LPG threads of interest :-
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/lpg-conversion-questions.3197/
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/accord-tourer-2-4-lpg-conversion-by-speedy.11022/

On my own car I recently ripped out the BRC system and replaced with my own install :-
    Roobix new uprated LPG system