Pre-Purchase Looking to buy

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by iceman2010, Tuesday 7th Apr, 2015.

1. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Hi there, i was after some advice if i may. I am looking to get a petrol FR-V and saw a 2004/54 2.0 Sport over the weekend, bodywork was good and on a whole to interior was good too, though it was a basic spec ie no roof rack or tints. It drove well and was quiet, didn't notice and steering vibrations or squeaky clutch. Mostly honda service stamps except the last one which was in 2011, no service records since. Garage says they will service the car before releasing and also give 3 months warranty as they have a workshop. I guess the only thing that concerns is the lack of service history for the past 4 years?

Also is it better to get a more recent model 1.8 es or ex which have better specs and i assume any initial issues ironed out? Only looking a petrol as do about 4k miles a year.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
    - - - Updated - - -
    forgot to add its got 71k on the clock.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hi @iceman2010. Personally, I say for the highest spec. newest model you can find, provided it has either a FSH, or a very obsessive owner who has cared for the car themselves. They may not have a stamped book, but they should have all the receipts for everything they have done. Happy hunting!

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I concur with @Nels, as cars get older, people tend to opt to self service them or use local garages as opposed to dealerships to service them.

If you ask for proof of servicing, that should be sufficient to show that it has indeed been serviced.

4. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Thanks for the info, Found a newer one to view this weekend hopefully if its still available.

What are the auto boxes like on these in terms of reliability? I drove one the other week and found it to be slow but very smooth. A couple of people have said that the honda autoboxes aren't particularly great. Comments?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The auto boxes on the FR-V are really good but they do have a drinking habit especially the smaller petrol engines.

6. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Hi are these supposed to have engine undertrays? Found it a bit odd looking down at the engine and being able to see the floor.

Thanks

7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi, my 2.2 I-CDTI has an under tray, not sure about petrol models. Sorry.

Also, squeaky clutch is common. It can be fixed with some PFT spray.

8. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Thanks. Any petrol owners out there?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    My imported petrol one doesn't have one. I don't know if it's just missing or never had one though.