Electrical & Lights Loose electric window switch

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Suffolkdavid, Tuesday 20th Aug, 2013.

1. Suffolkdavid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Our FR-V has suddenly developed an issue with the driver's window switch, where it is very loose within its socket; when you press it down or up there's no resistance so it stays in that position and you have to re-position it so it is flush with the other three switches.

The window still operates ok at the moment, but the switch feels like it will come off at any point, if it does I have no doubt that Sod's law means the window will be in the down position at the time...

Other than replacing the whole unit at around £300 which is a ridiculous price for what is just one loose switch, does anyone have any ideas? Can one switch be replaced or repaired ?

Thank you
    David

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's unusual, Honda components usually outlast the car. If you can find a picture of the switch it maybe give you an indication if you can open it up.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    David any progress to the damaged a picture would help?

4. Suffolkdavid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I think we will see what our Honda dealer says, there's nothing to take a picture of unfortunately, the switch appears fine from the outside but I guess the loose (or broken) part is internal at the point where that particular switch is attached to the housing on the dashboard that contains all four switches.

As far as I can see from googling, the only part you can buy from Honda is the whole master switch assembly at approaching £300, I'm keeping an eye on eBay though for a second hand one - the equivalent Accord one is on there for £9.99 !

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    It's more common than I thought then. Had a FR-V master switch break just like yours a few weeks ago. The switches work on a pivot but there not replaceable and the drivers switch seems susceptible to breaking off. Unfortunately it a new assembly or nothing : ( very easy to replace though. Remove the pull down tray and there is a few screws upwards under the switch and it pulls out from inside downwards as one. Just a shame how much they cost!!

Suffolkdavid likes this.
  6. Suffolkdavid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply Beefy.

Oh dear, as I feared! It's almost unbelievable you can't replace a switch that's broken at its pivot - especially the amount of use it will get. Shame you can't even swap it over for one of the other three switches, especially as they have their own individual switches on each door too.

Did you find a new unit discounted anywhere? We've only done 30k miles so maybe once we've spoken to our supplying/servicing dealer will try Honda UK for a contribution as they have helped with an out of warranty issue with my Civic before.

Thanks again,
    David

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Could t really say if honda would contribute, 3 year warrantie and all that. You may be lucky in sorcing from a breakers??

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  9. Suffolkdavid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, not yet.... Dealer quoted £320 to replace it, so now speaking with Honda UK to see if they will offer any goodwill gesture bearing in mind the mileage is only 34k and has full Honda service history. I've kept an eye on eBay but no luck there yet.
    I'll post any updates ...

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would like to know how the damage occured was it a case it worn or damaged by accident or just old abuse.

11. Suffolkdavid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can only assume its poor design/material at fault, as our car is pampered like a child! We don't even use the window switch much as we always have the air con on to keep it good working order, and it's never been stiff or anything requiring it to be forced.

The weakness seems to be confirmed by Beefy's comments above ... I'll let you know what HUK say.!

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fingers crossed could you attach pictures of this switch it may be helpful to have a look at it.

13. Suffolkdavid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This attachment was lost due to a bug in our old forum software before launching Honda Karma.
    If you are the author of this post, please try and re-upload this image for future members.

Its the AUTO switch that is about to fail due to a broken pivot/hinge.

No luck with HONDA UK ....They said it's broken, so I have to pay the full £320 inc VAT ! . If only they had a) used stronger materials b) or designed them to be replaced individually c) put one on the drivers door, like the other doors, as a back up.

Theres now a couple of FRVs being broken on eBay so will try that route.!

14. Suffolkdavid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

image. Sorry it's sideways ... But this is the switch

15. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there

Just wondered how your got on with your switch?

16. Suffolkdavid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I had it replaced just a few days ago by the local Honda dealer... Managed to get a goodwill gesture discount from Honda UK customer services fortunately after a few nicely worded e-mails did the trick, although the discount was only because the car has always been serviced by their main dealers - so the expensive servicing costs in the past have not been a waste of money!

I noticed a couple of FRVs being broken on eBay recently so I would have sourced a part that way otherwise .

17. kwacker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom kwacker Liverpool
    Hi all, my drivers switch went faulty yesterday, and yes £320 odd quid for a set of plastic switches is not going to happen. I will take the switch off when I get a bit of spare time and see if I can repair it.
    I wasn't expecting this from a relatively low mileage Honda. I will be a little more choosey next time I am looking to buy a car.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Just one of those things @kwacker you'll find otherwise that the components are of good quality.

19. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Low mileage can sometimes be worse then higher mileage. I purchased a 17yr old cavalier with 40,000miles yet all the pipes etc were shot due to age.

The previous owner of your FR-V could have had a trigger happy child or slammed the dash in an angry road rage moment.

But for Honda to charge £320 for a £10 part is ludicrous.
    I'm seriously considering purchasing a crash damaged FR-V and keeping it in the garage for spares as second hand prices are crazy too.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Just go to eBay and one off a breaker. Mileage doesn't wear out switches does it? An abused car with 50k is much worse than a 100k car with good history.