Electrical & Lights Loose positive clamp..

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Saturday 15th Jun, 2013.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    The problem continues...

The positive clamp was loose so as a quick fix my mate suggested a small screw in between the clamp and battery terminal, bit Mr H Robinson I thought but hey it worked. Last week fitted my lovely new Honda battery and same problem, I can't clamp it up tight enough (not even close). So, I was faced with the screw again or shim it in some way, I decided on the latter and used a metal shimming material we have a work. Of course it worked but I suspect it's not the most conductive of metals as I now have poor starting. My first thought was to get a piece of copper pipe and fashion that into a shim (copper of course being an excellent conductor) or maybe bite the bullet and change the clap? Not sure what to do, any advice? CJ nudge nudge CJ..

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would change the clamp Stu. Someone obviously did in the past. Post up a pic of current one. Is it crimped on the cable or secured with screws?

3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Not sure will have to check the connection type but everyone after market ones I've seen have been the screw type.

- - - Updated - - -

Pic:

batteryterminal.

The rough looking bit is the shim!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The positive clamp and the cables is over £ 150 and come as one unit you can't get the clamp, however you can get aftermarket clamps and change them

VWP - battery clamps

Japanese connector and then get a red cap. or you go to a battery shop and get lead shims and inset then between the cap and terminal and that will hold for good. I have the same issue on my 7th Generation and I have a lead shim to make up the clearance.

5. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I've looked everywhere for those lead shims, where do you get them?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I got mine from a local battery vendor in Leeds, any big independent battery shop will have it stu. ideally a shop which just does batteries :Smile: