General Loose Sunroof Seal/Gasket (Not a rust issue)

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordBuzz, Monday 23rd Jun, 2014.

1. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    Hi all,

I got my 8th Generation accord this weekend. So far I love it.

However i noticed it had a lumpy sunroof seal, which I knew would most likely be due to the classic rust issue.

So I opened the sunroof to find....zero rust. Great I thought.

However, the sunroof seal is that loose that when I tried to close it it came off. I then tried to put it back into place but every time I try to close it it would fold up on itself and come off again.

The missus and I result in us closing it bit by bit and edging the seal in more.

Anybody had any experience with this? I know that Honda don't supply the seal separately (stupidly). What are my options?

It's almost a good centimeter too loose around the perimeter of the sunroof.

Thanks,

Jack

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jack any pictures just to see which seal you are talking about?

3. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    I havent at the moment, I will get some later.

Its the main rubber seal that surrounds the glass around the sunroof. Due to it being loose, when closing, the bottom of the seal grips the chassis first and 'folds up' and comes off

4. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    I remember there was grease around the seal, is this normal?

If it is not normal, maybe somebody had done a DIY fix and removed too much of the glass?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looking at this image can you point out which seal is affected? or a Picture please

B__3810.

B__3820.

6. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    I believe it is number 12.

Please see images attached

IMG_6232.JPG
    IMG_6234.JPG

7. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    As you can see on the last picture, it starts coming away in the corner and continues to not be 'attached' around the back until the same point on the passenger side.

The front of the car is on the left

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jack item 12 seal is not sold individually its sold as the whole unit part number (70200-TL0-G21)GLASS ASSY., ROOF.

So the best way i can advise you to take it to your nearest dealer and see if they can put a claim into Honda , if you are outside warranty as dealer to see if they can do a GOGW, dealers now have certain powers given to them for GOGW, prior it was all HUK.

if your car been to a Honda dealer for main servicing and you are outside the manufacturer warranty you have grounds for a claim. No Honda service history you got bite a bitter pill and try to repair the seal with adhesive.

9. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    Thank you.

Unfortunately I've bought the car recently so been advised that Honda will say to take it back to where i got it from (Evans Halshaw).

The car does have full Honda service history though

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Evans Halshaw they are not a Honda dealer,its waste of time with them.. ring HUK CS and plead your case , politely.

11. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    Yeah I'm just saying that Honda will inform me to go back to them to plead any case, and they shouldn't deal with it.

I'll see what HUK say. I've never dealt with them, just explain what the situation is?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yeah just tell them you bought this car from EH and he car has a full service history and shocked to see the sunroof coming off.

13. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    And follow that up by asking if there is anything they can do?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Let them suggest you options otherwise you come across as demanding :Niceone:

15. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Gob-smacked seeing how shoddy a fit that is. That's not Chinese copy trying to pass off as a Honda is it?

16. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    Awful isnt it.

I don't know how it's ended up at that point

17. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    I called Honda UK (or what i thought was Honda UK). They told me to take it to a dealer first, and they'll put a request in to head office?

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok that is a start do it bud.