Engine & Gearbox loss of power and warning light

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by james m, Sunday 16th Jun, 2013.

1. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So i finished work today and drove from stevenage to huntingdon up the a1 when i got half way round the black cat round about i lost all power and the warning light came on mananged to get into the little chef car park but nearly got took out by a lorry i turned the car off left it 5 mins and started it again it was fine but the engine warning light stayed on and the revs would drop to about 200 and then shoot round to 2000 before settling around 700rpm the car ran fine up to huntingdon n back but the light stayed on left the car for 2 hours the lights now staying off im worried it will happen again with my kids in the car. Has anyone had this problem and will a ECU reader show a fault code?

Any help will be great and sorry for the essay

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    You need to get the code on the ECU read to find out what fault its picked up. That should give you a good starting point to work out what the problem is. Without knowing the fault code its just guess work. Sounds like you might have a faulty sensor.

3. demo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

check oil?

4. Anthony Cowle New Member Getting Started

Hi ,I have year 200 accord 1.8s manual 5 door,expering engine cutoff while driving.In addition did Honda do a recall. Many thanks Anthony

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi mate, this could be a number of different things ranging from ignition to throttle body issues.

I think there is a known problem relating to ignition switch wear which can also lead to idle problems. I would start by checking or gettingthis checked out.

Anthony Cowle likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Not sure about OP issue, but Anthony if you didnt get any lights come on and engine cut off then my bet would be on the ignition switch, its a common fault as the switch wears down over time which leads to it cutting off.

7. Anthony Cowle New Member Getting Started

Great thanks

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi James, What has changed on your car prior to this happening? any recent servicing or repairs?

9. Anthony Cowle New Member Getting Started

follwing checks, oil level ok. to describe more clearly what is happening .While driving engine cuts out and dashboard lights com on sometimes we can restart but other times we need to wait awhile.

10. demo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i had problem with cutting out it was something in the dizzy same prob

11. Anthony Cowle New Member Getting Started

Problem solved ignition switch ,ECU does not keep memory on this partic car, however cutout while on diognostics.Smithy Garage Culceth did good job .Thankyou all

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Make sure on your car keys that you don't have loads of other keys or keyrings, as this add weight to it when hanging off the ignition switch and would wear it out quicker, keep the car key seperate with just the fob.

13. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

sorry for late up-date. so i had the the car plugged into a ECU reader and got a code (can't remember the code of top of head) checked it on the honda database app and it came up as a VTEC system problem, oil level was fine but blacker then satans soul. so decided to use some engine flush and fresh oil and so far problem solved. cheers for the advise anyways.