Engine & Gearbox lost all drive help!!!!!!

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Falcoron, Thursday 30th Jun, 2016.

1. Falcoron Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland Ron Belfast
    2004 2.2 diesel. has just lost all drive, car starts and runs perfect good clutch pedal, driving off at juntion this morning, loud bang under car and no drive gears!goes in and out of all gears smooth smoothly, on tick over there is a faint muffled bump bump bump noise, only heard inside car can't hear that outside. select gear and let out clutch and the bump, bump gets faster. out of gear in idol it returns to slower bump bump noise.
    . Clutch was starting to slip slightly for past month or so, have a brand new clutch bought ( gen honda) no rattles or snatchy clutch what so ever only a very slight slip now and again. Any ideas? im thinking the clutch has stripped the teeth and not engaging but im no mechanic. Wifes car and now really stuck. If its the clutch is there a DMF in this model and does it give bother? if there is would it be prudent to buy one for the kit i have now?
    Had a mondeo and you know when that clutch is on it's way out rattleing and dust in starter etc. nothing like that here though. still feels smooth and quite?
    All suggestion appreciated please.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Snapped driveshaft?

3. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Was the release bearing replaced when they did the clutch?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Did the garage that did the job have the right tools (there's a special tensioning tool required for pre-tensioning the clutch when installing) to do the job ?

If they didn't then it will need all come off to be done properly again !

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Has the new clutch actually been fitted?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ah yes looks like it's only been "bought" and not fitted.

Well still make sure your mechanic has the right tools for the job. He can check the DMF once he has it off for play and let you know if that needs replacing. They are quite expensive though.

7. Falcoron Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys,
    the new clutch is not fitted yet ( should have done this a while back) I don't have a DMF for it so might need that as well. Would the clutch make drive no existant? from good to nothing in a split second?
    If a drive shaft was broken would that not make a clatter when gear engaged as the end spins loose?
    Again im no mechanic!

8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Sorry to hear about your problem, I think if the release bearing was damaged or faulty the clutch would not feel smooth. This sounds like a drive shaft issue, or first gear is damaged. I hope you get it sorted.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    My money's on a broken driveshaft.

10. Falcoron Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cheers guys,
    The gears all select with no crunch, or nasties at all still smooth and free. just no drive in any gear. would a drive shaft be an easier fix? anyone got a like to the part it might be just in case I need one
    cheers

11. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I had my driveshaft going on my Civic, similar as you. The car won't move. If it is the driveshaft, you need to know which side is broken.

12. Falcoron Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

if one shaft was broken would that stop all drive? sorry if a daft question.
    How can i check this without stripping all and sundry is there a way to check by jacking up car? is so please let me know.
    Thanks

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yes, if either one of your driveshafts has broken then the car cannot move because all drive will be transmitted by the differential drive to the free end of the broken driveshaft.

I'd grab a torch and simply lie down next to the car and look at the driveshafts to see if one has snapped and is now hanging down.

14. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Sounds like a driveshaft to me.

15. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm going for driveshaft too, exact same happened on brothers Civic.

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Do you have any update for us, @Falcoron ?