Suspension, Steering and Brakes Loud knock when taking up drive

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by si_d_2003, Tuesday 7th Jan, 2014.

1. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey guys, I have a knocking noise that has got louder and louder over a couple of months. When ever I come to a stop at traffic lights for example, and I slowly take up drive there is a loud knock that comes from the front, only one knock then its gone till the next time I brake and take up drive.
    It sounds near where my feet are but can't be sure. Does anyone know of any common faults?
    Cheers

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get the wheels off and have a look at the front suspension for wear, compliance bushes and drop links.

3. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Pulled it into the workshop braking 5 or 6 times no noise! Up in the air checked arms roll bar subframe bushes and not movement anywhere. I check the torque of the subframe mounts and still nothing untoward. I pulled the car out the workshop and again no noise.
    I told myself 2 months ago, ill let it develop to make it easier to find, but even now as loud as it is, still nothing.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hows the drive shafts ?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  6. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

a while ago I had a similar knock well it was two different cars 1. on my i30 that turned out to be the top nut on the front drivers drop link was not as tight as it should have been. 2. was my accord the nearside brake caliper securing bolt was slightly loose. :Search:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A solution to that is always use a Torque wrench! simples

8. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ill check all suggestions tomorrow, thanks for the input.

9. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok I seem to have found the problem. The two L shaped brackets on the front of the subframe that then bolt to the front of the slam panel at the front under the radiator, were the wrong way around and the brackets were touching and rubbing on the subframe as it was flexing when taking up drive causing a knocking/creaking noise which was transmitting through the car. I swapped the brackets around and they clear the subframe now. So who ever took the brackets off previously got them the wrong way around.

SpeedyGee likes this.