Exhaust System loud noise from bottom of car ! help

Discussion in '5th Generation (1994-1997) [Rover 600, Isuzu Aska]' started by 95_Shark, Friday 23rd Mar, 2012.

1. 95_Shark New Member Getting Started

Hwy guys im having a issue where i hear like a scrapey rattle noise when i have the car in gear but not pressing the gas . Butbwhen i do the noise goes away and also when i take it out of gear . I thoughtbit could be the transmission but all the gears go in smoothly and i have no accelerating issues . Car starts ok . I also thoughtbit could be the axle but when i turn the noise doesnt happen. Another friend said it could be somthing in my exhaust is loose n but anyway any help or advise is much appreciated

2. accord1996 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lloydie london
    on the exhaust system check the shield on the catalytic converter ..you mention when you start the car it rattles or smooths out when you accelerate hope that helps ... converter

3. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    Is this and automatic or 5speed manual? If manual it sounds like a bad throw out bearing (not expensive just a pain to fix) which is inside of the transmission. Good luck

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If it was bad throw out bearing/release bearing you would hear the noise with the car in neutral. With the clutch down the noise should stop. Is this the case ?

Also you wouldn't hear the release bearing with the car moving. It sounds like one of the shields.

Get the car on a ramp, you should be able to work out where the noise is coming from.