Suspension, Steering and Brakes Loud noise in reverse

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by buzzbee, Monday 14th Sep, 2015.

1. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Buzz Berkshire, UK
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the below?

Almost every time I reverse, there is a very loud noise, coming from around the near side rear wheel. At first, I thought it was a scraping noise, as if it was the breaks, but it’s actually more of a creaking, like springs creaking. It’s loud and it’s almost every time I reverse, but NEVER when going forward

Has anyone got any thoughts?

I am having the car serviced next month, but obviously, if it is likely to be anything dangerous or damaging, then I won’t leave it

A friend who works for the AA suggested (Without physically hearing it himself) that it might be that the brake pads are moving, but he said this isn’t dangerous

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Floating calipers can move and make a "clunk" sound when you first tap them in reverse but what you are saying doesn't sound like this. My first thoughts would be the rear anti-roll bar (rarb) bushes could be worn and they may be shifting when you reverse. Easy enough to check, just get under the car, grab the rarb and try to move it. If there's play then that could be it. RARB bushes are usually very quick and straight forward to change.

If not, then I'd be checking all the other rear suspension bushes.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How worn are the pads ? Could be pad wear indicator scrubbing but then again that should scrub in either direction.

4. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, they’re certainly not worn right down. The disc looks fine. I’m no expert, but I wondered if the break wear indicator might be at a slight angle, facing slightly forward. Am I right in thinking that this is just a small metal strip through the middle of the pad? I wondered if it may be that it’s facing slightly forward, so it just bends OK when going forward (It’s not making any noise at all), but is scraping when in reverse.
    I don’t think it is this, but it could be. If this was the case, I would expect to see some kind of mark on the disc. Also, it’s more like a creaking spring than any scraping/grinding noise

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    One the side of the pad.

Ah I see, probably not the pad wear indicator then.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    My first thought was also that a pad wear indicator was just starting to make a noise. They don't sound like what you'd expect, and are on the inner pads where you can't easily see them. They are set quite conservatively, I would estimate that they start to get noisy when around 4mm remains.

7. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Could it be small stone stuck somewhere near the pads, caliper etc? I've had a few recently due to new road surfaces nearby which sounded awful - all sorts of loud noises - screeching, scraping, twanging.

Eventually the stones fell out, thankfully.

8. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

That springy creaking noise is common on drop links. You can normally simulate the noise by moving the ARB with a pry bar.

I've had worn front and rear ARB bushes and they make a dull thud rather than a creaking noise when going over bumps.

9. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that. I don't think it's the same thing. The noise, which is coming from the back, is fairly constant when reversing (which is why I thought it was a scraping noise at first) and doesn't seem to be affected by ether bumps or breaking

10. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Worth bearing in mind BMW is RWD, but the last solution... Could this be checked by jacking up and turning the wheel backwards?

Also does this noise happen if letting the car roll backwards down a hill or only when reverse is engaged?

12. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven’t had the chance to jack the car up, but I have gone backwards in neutral and the noise was there