Engine & Gearbox Lovely weekend turned into a worrying one

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Saturday 21st Feb, 2015.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    So here I was, woke up in the morning saw lovely sunshine in the backyard and thought, oh i should change the engine oil as its been long due, done around 10k since the last one. Went outside, jacked the car up and feeling excited:jumpy:that i was gonne work on her after a while.
    Now, opened the engine sump nut, let the oil drain, all done, no problems at all.
    Then proceeded to undo the oil filter and :tut:, wouldn't open.. waited a few moments gained some strenght and went at it again and :Rant:it wouldn't make a single turn, heck wouldn't make a slight move, darn it, man i thought i was past that problem and last time i changed, i did it by hand.
    Ok, so now was looking at ways to open it from under the car then over the car and NOPE, no success. Well took it down then, put new oil in, cleaned the EGR and went for a small drive.. No problems so far, except for that worry that i'm using an old oil filter:Ermm:.
    Came back home, and while looking from the top, saw engine oil like it was splattered around the area where oil filter is, i did notice it while i was underneath the car, and cleaned it and thought it maybe if i change the oil filter, that would fix it, but no, saw it coming from where that rocker cover is:Aghast:.
    I've attached a few pics.
    What should i do now with this awful problem of oil filter not coming off and the leakage?

20150221_155844. 20150221_155902.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 21st Feb, 2015
  2. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Any chance your oil filter housing was cross threaded or not correctly tightened? It must be done with the correct tool as the housing can easily deform.

Have you noticed any noticeable oil loss since last service?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have a read of this thread Tools - Tools to help remove stuck oil filter

There's discussion of various tools to get stuck oil filters off. The best tool would be a cap like tool that sits on top of the oil filter (80mm, 15 flutes i believe) and you can use a spanner or ratchet on it.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Looks like you need to change your rocker cover gasket to sort out the oil seepage issue around there.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    What a bugger mate. Definitely looks like your rocker cover gasket @hsyasin, it's not a big job so don't worry too much :Smile:

5. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No i tightened it myself, and pretty sure didn't cross thread it, also, that's the strange part, hasn't been loosing a huge amount of engine oil either. Whereas when i was underneath, i cleaned the oil seepage and went around the town and then put my hand on the oil filter again to check if i can open it, and there was some oil on it, like it was dripping. Then made a around 70 mile journey which included a little thrashing, and now this morning just checked oil level again, and hasn't been reduced.
    @DeviateDefiant do i just need gasket for this job or need something else?
    also, i haven't done it before, but was also thinking about adjusting valves while i've rocker cover open. Was thinking, can i do this in 2 stages, first just change rocker cover gasket and then when i've got some spare time, then open it up again and do valve clearences. So, can the gasket be reused?
    - - - Updated - - -
    also chaps, had a look online on euro car parts and found a few different gaskets, starting at £6 and then there's one for £10 and then up next is around £15
    Aftermarket Honda | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer
    which one do u guys reckon to go for?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You'll need the gasket itself, and some gasket sealer, preferably Hondabond HT. For the gasket, I'd recommend going for genuine as they're only £20 list price, which means even cheaper from @Holdcroft Honda.
    • Rocker Cover Gasket - 12341-RTA-000 - £20.65
    • Hondabond HT Liquid Gasket - 08718-0004 - £30.44
    The gasket sealer will be a lot cheaper with club discount, as you can find it online for half that price.

The gasket can be re-used, it's not going to become brittle after such a short period of time, however I would recommend doing them both at once - because why take the rocker cover off twice? :Smile: The valve adjustment will take all of 20-30 minutes if the rocker cover is already off.

Valve Clearances Guide (Petrol)

7. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Sorry, I am quite new to this forum! That advice was mainly aimed at the Deisel engines as the oil filter design is noticeably different. Just noticed you are a K20A6. Hope you have some luck with the gasket!

8. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sorry to hear this dude.
    It does look like the rocker gasket, I heard that you don't really need the hondbond or gasket sealant on Honda rocker covers providing you get a genuine Honda rocker gasket.

But if you do deciede to use it I don't think it would cause any harm.

Rocker cover oil leaks is a common issue on the wifes ford puma 17 zetec engine. We changed the rocker cover gasket and used this stuff.

it has never leaked since. (we did it over a year ago) its good stuff.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You only need a little bit Honda Bond in each corner. That's the only places you need to use when using a Honda gasket.

As @DeviateDefiant says gasket can reused. I'd allow a good hour to do the valve clearances. Remember the engine needs to be stone cold when doing the clearances.

10. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

So, if i order genuine gasket from HH, would that mean that i don't have to put any bond stuff afterwards?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You need to apply some liquid gasket (HondaBond or equivalent) to the following four areas on the gasket (after seating the gasket in it's place and before placing the cover back on the head).

Rocker Cover Head Gasket.

12. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's a 1/4" drive, so the square hole at the top will be very very small.

You want either a 3/8" drive or even maybe a 1/2" drive one, so the hole is bigger at the top. Looking at the guide I'd say @ArcticFire probably used a 1/2" drive 10mm socket.

@ArcticFire is this correct ?

hsyasin likes this.