General Low brake pads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobsyUK, Thursday 6th Oct, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    I thought I'd post this here as it's more a general query rather then model specific.

As the front discs wear down I assume they loose their effectiveness due to less surface area allowing the heat to escape?

So if they are less effective would this result in the operator pressing harder for longer? Would this then inturn make the rear brakes do more work then usual?

2. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I remember when I bought my FR-V, the front brakes where low, which made the pedal travel more, not sure if it would make the rear break work more.
    All i remember was, pedal had to be pressed in a lot more.

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If nothing has seized then pads wearing down should surely make no difference whatsoever? The clearance between the surface of the disc and the face of the pad is a fixed distance, determined by the disc 'out of true' (run out) figure, which is what knocks the pads away after braking. The calliper pistons will assume a greater protrusion as the pads wear and the calliper will hold more fluid to backfill.

4. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Really? Woah, now that's made me think. I had my front pads and disc's changed because of the amount of travel

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    And I do believe you! But that would not be typical, unless there was another problem, such as a seized pad, or jammed slider that perhaps went unnoticed?

6. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh okay, perhaps it was something like that then. I don't know much about the breaking system, I leave the professionals to de with that

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Zebster is correct.

Also you would get more travel on scored or lipped disc as the run out would be greater and you'd get less braking power due to less braking surface.

Ageing brake fluid and air in the system can also give long spongy feel to brakes.

8. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah my disc's had loads of scratches on them and it had a lip around it.

9. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    So would harder breaking / more travel make the rears do more work then normal ?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I wouldn't think so. The brake bias would remain the same.