Electrical & Lights Low Cranking Speed 2000 Honda Accord

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Peter_G, Wednesday 28th Nov, 2012.

1. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

2000 Honda Accord 1.8i SE VTEC 79000 miles

Just getting used to my Accord. From day one i thought that cranking speed was low compared to most other cars I have driven but it always started OK but this got worse until today when I was lucky that it started so I took it for a battery check, this revealed that the battery was in a poor state so I preceded to my local parts supplier and purchased a new battery. After fitting (an easy 10 minute job) The car started OK but still turned over slowly but strongly.

I went for a test run to top up the battery a little and noticed a problem. When coming to a stop the engine stutters and almost stalls. Tickover seems fine, in fact the engine is so quiet I can hardly hear it, this stuttering only happens when the car is coming to a stop in traffic etc. other than this and the slow cranking speed the engine seems fine. This did not happen before I changed the battery.

Is the low cranking speed a Honda thing?
    Could the stuttering at slow speed be due to the battery change or is this the symptom of a vacuum system leak?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Wednesday 28th Nov, 2012
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think it'll be the ECU - electronic brain - relearning the settings after disconnecting. It won't do this after a day or two.

3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Did they test the alternator charging output when they tested the battery?

Kind of sounds like its not keeping the battery fully charged.

When I had one of these, they do idle very very slowly and quietly. I also had a battery completely die one frosty morning.

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Worth checking.

Another possibility is simply that it's an old battery that's been doing nothing on a seller's forecourt for several weeks as the cold nights set in and the disuse has killed it.

5. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a quick follow-up:

As mentioned after a day of running the stuttering and almost stalling problem has disappeared, mind you unless you look at the rev counter you would think that it had stalled, It's almost silent at tick-over. On it's new battery it starts great even after a night of hard frost, it still is the lowest cranking speed car I've ever owned though.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It could be the selanoid on the motor or just simple as worn carbon brushes on starter motor armature. A fresh battery will give it the current required for good cranking cycle but if it part are worn the situation isn't going to improve . I have persinallŷ seen over zealous old timers over cranking thier engines the starter ring on the flywheel worn :telloff:Guess what the whole gearbox comes out to replace the ring :Aghast:

7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If it starts okay and works okay don't worry about it.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ^^ Keep Calm and keep driving its a Honda:Wink:

9. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Keep calm and carry on LOL

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've swapped out slow turning start motors before which fixed the issue. Worn bushes or damaged armature splines can cause slow turning.

Worn/damaged starter ring gear would generally lead to mis-engagement and noisy cranking.

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    its not a massive job to remove a starter motor, even for the weekend mechanic. if its a problem that worries you it may be worth tkaing it off and getting it re-furbished.

12. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As the car starts fine I intend to leave it for the moment and not worry. Thanks for all of the guidance and suggestions.

Ichiban and SayamaAccord like this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Best way Peter. if does get progressively worse during winter wait till summer to see if it gets slight better.

make a call with local auto electrician may take 90 quid to clean the armature copper contact,replace the carbon bushes and inspect the bearing on to top cone cover.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Fair play but just be aware that a slow turning starter could also mean that the starter is putting a heavier than normal load on the battery.

Ichiban likes this.
  15. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Hello to all

I am facing same problem with my 7th Generation Starter Motor, initially it would make kind of struggling or slip armature sound and only on really early morning i.e. 0330 or 0400 in the morning during the cold winter, all day along no problems, however since last week it is making similar sound in the day time as well.

I am interested in opening and doing the repair to starter motor myself. However issue I am having where to obtain the carbon brushes. I am not happy to pay £90.00 to get recondition if I can do the repair and save few bucks, also satisfaction of doing something myself.

I have repaired in the past Motor Cycles starter motors and been successful. So want to try on car as well. Any Advice in getting brushes will be much appreciated.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You can get item 9 from your local dealer part number (31213-PHM-004) SPRING, BRUSH for £3.72

E__0711.

There three vendors who make the starter motor for the auto 7th Generation i.e Denso , Mitsuba and Mitisibushi if you can get a LED in the starter motor area and get a glimpse of the sliver sticker it will help me post some exploded diagrams to assist you.

17. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Thanks for that and I will attempt to repair once my house is fixed (lots of building work going at the moment)

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not a problem bud, as and when you do it if you can get some pictures up it will help others and you can enter into the DIY of the month award too.