Engine & Gearbox Low fuel pressure, diesel accord.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Biffo, Saturday 13th Feb, 2016.

1. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Hi, 7th Generation diesel accord, when accelerating briskly, at about 3500rpm, it starts to cut out, putting up the engine management light, slowing down, it will then sort itself out. After some time the light will go out.
    I put the code reader on, and it comes back with "fuel pressure low" (or something like that) The fuel filter was changed a couple of thousand miles ago.
    Can the fuel pressure be checked? and can it be adjusted? or what else can cause this?

Regards

Biffo

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Normally P1065 and or P0087 low fuel rail pressure DTCs are caused by having a non-OEM fuel filter. The pre-facelift model MUST have the correct Bosch filter, while the FL MUST have the correct Denso filter... Can you confirm?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Only use genuine Honda filters any other filter you will get that issue. The amount of time I must have said that since 2004 I would have had the money to buy a new accord today.

4. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Thanks guys, I sold the old girl to a work colleague and this has reared itself, so want to assist if I can.
    It's the only car that I've owned that I felt that I could pass on to a friend in confidence. We'll sort out the filter

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If it's a PFL then it's pretty easy to see if the filter is a Bosch.

6. becboo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rebecca Warrington
    Thank you guys, will buy one ASAP :Smile:

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Are you the new owner?

A 55 plate needs a Bosch filter... they make the Honda ones, but you can buy them cheaper from Bosch stockists. Whatever anyone tells you, never buy an alternative as - like Ichiban says - they cause so many, many problems.

becboo likes this.
  8. becboo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am indeedy the new owner :Smile: yayyyyy!
    - - - Updated - - -
    So do I just go into my local Honda dealership to buy this or is there somewhere online I can buy it from? (pretty clueless!)

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You can definitely go into a Honda dealer and get one, but this forum gets a special discount from Holdcroft Honda in Stoke... Normally free one-day delivery as well.
    http://hondakarma.com/community/Holdcroft/

It is a bit of a pig to change! You need a decent, small socket set, ideally with flexi-drive extensions. The fuel filter can be found by lifting the bonnet and looking to the rear of the engine, bolted to the bulkhead to the right. I'd want to check it wasn't a Bosch filter before jumping in to replace it.
    http://hondakarma.com/guides/fuel-filter-replacement-pre-facelift-diesel.9/
    http://hondakarma.com/guides/fuel-filter-replacement-pre-facelift-diesel-alternate.11/

Is the car running OK now? Did the warning light come back on after Biffo reset it?

Last edited: Saturday 13th Feb, 2016
  10. becboo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The warning light reset itself on the same day (yesterday) but Biffo checked it today with his diagnostic tool and it said about the fuel pressure, he cleared that. No warning lights showing and it seems to be running fine now. The problem occurred when my husband put his foot down, he went up to about 3500 revs and then it lost power and stalled, (the coil light and engine warning light then came one) it then took a few minutes for the car to restart, and the warning light stayed on for a couple of hours.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I was going to say that the code for low fuel pressure could have been a historic one that had been stored, but the coil symbol (glow plug light) is consistent with a low fuel pressure condition.

12. becboo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

For £77 from cox motorparts I can get a service kit containing
    Genuine Oil Filter-15430-RBD-E02
    Genuine Sump Washer-94109-14000
    Genuine Air Filter-17220-RBD-E00
    Genuine Fuel Filter-16901-S6F-E02
    Genuine Pollen Filter-80292-SDC-505HE

Is this a good deal and are those the right parts?

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    becboo likes this.
  14. AlanR8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Manchester
    My 05 plate diesel will do the same if pushed. Yesterday, my wife was driving it on her own and had just started a 60 mile motorway journey. She gave it some beans on the slip road and it misfired and the glo plug light started flashing. Engine went into limp mode.

She had a slow journey home but got here! Going in for a GENUINE Honda fuel filter in the morning, will let you know the outcome.
    - - - Updated - - -
    BTW, Honda in Rochdale quoted £105 for fitting.

My usual non franchise garage, Volksmaster in Oldham, that I've used for almost 30 years, quoted £78 fitted for a genuine filter delivered from Honda.

Zebster likes this.
  15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The 'genuine Honda' fuel filter for the pre-facelift Accord is actually a Bosch 0 450 906 442 and they are widely available.

16. AlanR8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Manchester
    So just got my Accord back from Volksmaster in Oldham having had a genuine Honda fuel filter fitted.

Wow! What a transformation! Saw just over 4,000 RPM in second and third! Just wouldn't have done that before.

Thanks for all the good info and guidance on these forums. Oh, a nice touch from Volksmaster, they included the box top with the serial number of the part fitted.

Nels, becboo, Bounder and 2 others like this.
  17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Great stuff Alan.

18. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
  19. becboo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Me too Alan, the difference is like night and day!

Nels likes this.