General low oil for the first time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racy Jace, Tuesday 4th Aug, 2015.

1. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just tried to get to work when the low oil light came on. Luckily I hadn't got to the motorway so went home and swapped cars for the reliable nissan. Lol.

Since owning the car it hasn't used oil so I'm suprised that it's now using it. Am I missing something? Is this normal? Or what could be causing it?

Cheers

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I am no oil expert, but a couple of things spring to mind. Have you recently had her serviced and they used the wrong viscosity oil - diesels are really fussy over their oil. My Accord burnt Mobil oil like it was on fire, but doesnt burn Castrol at all. Or, on the complete opposite scale, when was the last time the oil was changed, oil breaks down over time and is naturally burnt away. Happens in diesels more quickly than in petrols. How often do you check your oil level?

Racy Jace likes this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    How low was the oil level? How many miles has it done since it was last 'full'?

Racy Jace likes this.
  4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Are there any visible signs of a leek? and was it a sudden drop in oil level?

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm still not sure that the oil level has been checked and confirmed to be low. Some Honda models needed a software mod to prevent false low oil level warnings.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

I drove a car the other day that turned itself off flashing low oil (car is less than a year old). Car had been sitting at an angle so when I turned it over, it panicked as the oil had slopped away from the sensor and the ECU shut the car off. However, this was not a Japanese car in any way and was instead one of the most loved marques on the forum (note the sarcasm)

Nels and i-DSI like this.
  7. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

Usefull to know - especially for DIY service intervals regarding choice of oil

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

If you buy your oil from a Honda dealer, it is Castrol oil, just in a different labelled container

Racy Jace likes this.
  9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm at work so I'll read through the comments later.

0w30 castrol edge was used about 10 months ago . Always taken to Honda dealer. Oil level was low.

I think the oil was checked about 6 months ago. Usually it doesn't use oil so it's strange. I havnt noticed any oil on the floor of the work car park so I guess no leaks.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So (assuming that max-to-min on dipstick is around a litre) how much engine oil do you estimate that it's consumed in miles per litre?

Racy Jace likes this.
  11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

With out checking my car I'd say 5k to 6k to get to the level it's at now. When I started the car back up the oil light disappeared I'm just glad I caught it in time.

On a side note. My MPG has been good. Got 63.5mpg the weekend on a 80 mile run going at 70mph. Doing 80 on the way back with heavy rain it dropped to 58mpg. Well happy with that.

It may be that I'm using my own oil and not Honda and that I need to keep an eye on it more.

How many litres would it take to go from above the low level to just under max or where ever it needs to be? I've about 2 litres of castrol left over.

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It took less than 1L to fill it back up so Im guessing it wasn't that low after all. I've now enough castrol edge for a complete oil change lol.

I just wondered if any other I-DTEC owners using their own 0w30 have had to top up their oil?

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It's pretty standard for the main/max dipstick marks to be 1L apart, but I can't be sure this applies to the I-DTEC.

I know you topped up with Edge (meh) but what oil were you using at the last oil change?

14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Castrol edge was used last service. 0w30. That's what I had left over so I topped it back up with that. Not sure how it compares to other oils. It was a brand that people seemed to recommend so i went with it. Just gonna pop out and make sure she's still runing sweet.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Ain't it possible you were not really at MAX level when you changed oil last time?
    I never fill up to MAX level when changing oil.
    Don't panic: filling up once in between oil changes isn't dramatic. Might have been a combination between extreme (wheater) temperatures, a bit more cold starts/short drives, not filled up to the MAX last time...
    Personally I only fill up right in between MIN and MAX when changing oil. Non of the cars (Accord - Civic - both petrol) consume any oil. Accord is 15.000 km between changes, Civic hardly 5000 (yearly change).

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Castrol Edge is an OK oil and shouldn't lead to high consumption. Keep an eye on it... My I-CTDI goes from Max to min between changes, so it does use a little bit..

17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I never do the oil my self as i don't have the tools or jack to do it. I give the tubs to Honda and hope they put it in.

I did short jorneys for a bit but I managed to get a proper job quite quickly so it could be that then. Ill definitely be keeping an eye on it now.

Test drive went well. The oil cap didn't pop off and I got 60.4mpg on a 32 mile round trip. Just wish the boot was bigger now.

18. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Closed breather systems tend to burn oil due to fluctuations of the pistons going up and down pumping oil vapors around the block void this is not helped by the suction' Negative Pressure ' caused by the intake system, often when you open up a diesel esp a turbo one, pools of oil lie in the intake pipework and the turbo intake this is mainly what blocks EGR systems ,not the diesel, so yes some cars burn oil, how much? not sure what Honda says but I can tell you on Toyota its up to 600ml per 1000 km just over half a litre on 600 miles. rarely anywhere near but this is their warranty limit and acceptance.
    there is always oil below the dipstick you don't see and often people panic when its low but in reality sometimes a litre will bring it from below min to max.