Lower control arms

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by kes, Friday 19th Jun, 2015.

1. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

My aunties Honda Jazz 2003 1.4 is needing new front lower control arms. The horizontal bushes have deterioted. I know you can press in new bushes but garage says better to get arm as cost of labour would be about the same. Unfortunately Im too busy to do it for her.
    My question is genuine ones see to be £250+ each so that's too expensive for her. Does anyone know what company make the arms OE? online there seems to be aftermarket parts from FEBI, Ocap, FAI, Q-drive, blueprint, QH. Any ideas if any are good? I'm new to Japanese cars, had german before.

2. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I have no direct experience but Blueprint are supposed to be close to OE.

kes likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In Asia you can get lower compliance bushing as there Honda has give single bushes as a service part like the Accords. For some bizarre reason Honda does not offer it here.

kes likes this.
  4. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I see you can buy the bush from aftermarket suppliers. I have replaced them myself on other cars and own a press, takes a bit getting used to but so much cheaper. Most cars that I have worked on you don't even have the option and have to buy the full arm.

5. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Was this an MOT failure? the reason I ask is that for the last 5 years ours has had "bushes show signs of deterioration but no excessive movement" on the MOT cert,

6. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No it was an advisory but he said it would fail this year. I will probably replace the whole arm as don't have the time to do the job myself anymore.

7. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    yes ours are advisory as well, same test station same tester, always comes back with same prognosis, I think these bushes just show their age, do you get any bonking noise when dropping off a kerb or when steering full lock? Ours is an import "FIT" 2003, WITH ABOUT 40,000 on the clock

kes likes this.
  8. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Small consolation but I've noticed that as an advisory on mine for the last three Mots. I wouldn't worry about it until it actually fails, may be years away.
    Also try eurocarparts, cheap ones are £30 a side ocap ones £48 that's the complete unit.

kes likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Honda advised me that nearside ball joint needs replacing and only solution is to replace the whole control arm at a cost of £300!
    I bought the part off eBay .. I think I paid about £30 for a TruPart part and 3 months in and 2000miles later its all good. No one is interested in pressing new bushes in as the time and effort it takes to take the arm off, you will be glad that you paid someone else to do it.

kes and stuscrv like this.
  10. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Its all a grey area, one testers opinion may differ from another in how much free play is allowed. You wouldn't believe how much free play was allowed on my Buicks steering box. Its inches ! ! No wonder you find it hard to keep em straight.lol.
    I think in an old shed like mine, discretion is used. The cost of replacing mine is much more than the cars worth so I'd scrap it and the independent won't get my service/repair bill etc.

kes likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    At-least you didn't get this MOT cert, Not mine BTW
    12525336_1090728807634078_6880982573038236866_o.

kes, John Hamer and legend-ary like this.
  12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    You can choose to ignore the free play as much as you like until the car starts darting towards hedges on its own like mine was doing in a straight line.
    - - - Updated - - -
    haha for real? :Grin: :Grin: haha

kes likes this.
  13. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I sent that once to my brother after picking his car up from MOT station :Smile:
    In regards to the bush i will be changing the arms for this years MOT as its £37 for Febi arms so not too bad. Shes had the car 5 years and barely had anything go wrong. Got to love Honda's.

Ichiban likes this.