Suspension, Steering and Brakes Lowering options

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Nighthawk, Monday 8th Sep, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Hello all,

couldn't really find any posts relating to this although it could just be my computer illiteracy. With my car still on its original shocks and springs at 92k, they are not as strong obviously as they used to be. I am looking at changing them and thinking, well, i might as well drop it a bit as well just to give slightly better handling because at the moment, I could fit a dog inbetween the wheel and the arch. I am not going to track day performance etc, this is a family car which ferries the kids to school and picks up the shopping from Tesco's. She is a bit wallowing in the bends, and I just want to sort her out safety wise especially with bad weather approaching in a few months.

So, what do you guys think is best? I have spoken to HH, I am waiting on them to get back to me to see if they can source the A Spec kit. My options at present are this:

1 - lowering springs/original shocks
    2 - sport suspension kit - Koni Sport Suspension Kit - Demon Tweeks
    3 - Honda A Spec

Now, I don't like option 1 really, I am not trying to just get the look, I want the stability as well so putting new springs onto 92k shocks isnt, to me, a good idea. The sport suspension kit looks interesting and drops it a bit more whilst giving some adjustability regarding hardness. I like my cars to feel firm on the road, but not break my back or ruin the comfort. Ideally, the A Spec would be best, engineered by Honda specifically for the car so you get to keep the refinement, don't need to declare it to the insurance company as its OEM equipment etc.

Anyone got the A Spec, how is it? Would you recommend it? What are everyones thoughts on the sport suspension kit by Koni? Any thoughts on this?

My previous experience messing with cars for most of my life, although I am not a mechanic, tells me the OEM stuff is best ideally, but that the sports suspension should be a close second. Replace all components for safety rather than just slapping some lowering springs on the car.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Nighthawk Guest

Oh lovely, thank you, I didnt see that thread. Computers and I arent good friends, guess I didnt search properly. I would prefer A Spec if I can get it. Hopefully HH will come through for me.

How was the car handling/comfort wise? Could you tell the difference?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When you fancy the 8th Generation you can look at this thread too Aftermarket Kit - 8th Generation Accord lowering options

Comfort is really good on 17 inch wheels 18 is a bit stiff.. bone breaking? no. That is on both wheel sizes. It handles like a dream and can't fault them in anyway.

BTW my 7th Generation 2.4 tourer has covered 100K miles with original compliance bushes and drop links, how many can say that with aftermarket kits.. Not a lot

5. Nighthawk Guest

Thank you, to be honest, I am not even considering getting rid of my car at the moment. She has been a gem, never let us down, and all the parts I have changed on it, I have done so because I like ensuring certain components are changed regularly. The only stuff I have changed because I had to really are the inner tie rod ends and the VSA module. The clutch system was annoying me and I changed that for that reason mainly. She is in great overall nick, got a nice compliment when I got the alignment done yesterday at the garage about what condition she is in. Il keep her until she gives me a good reason not to.

Also, finances wouldn't allow me to buy another car. I have just gotten out of debt, except for mortgage, so don't want to get back into it again.

6. Nighthawk Guest

HH just called back, they cannot get any of the kit whatsoever, it is not made anymore and none of the other dealerships have it in stock or have the ability to get it either. Gutted. Ebay comes up blank too, but tbh, I wouldn't buy it from ebay anyway.

Any suggestions from anyone as to what you think is the best shock/spring combo as a runner up to this? I have shown the koni above but am open to all suggestions. As mentioned, this is a family car, so I wish to keep the comfort but with a bit more stability on the road and a bit of a drop too.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Mines on 140K, everything original bar the brake components :Devil:

Not a squeak from any corner :dance:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    aren’t you the chosen one need a new clutch on my 7th Generation its had a rough all time. Let see how long it lasts before it slips.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm still going strong with original clutch too :taunt:

Mine must have been a Monday morning car :lol:

Either that or I looked after it well :Smile:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mine been driven as if it was nicked don't pussy footing around wtaching MPG graph . Mine looked after too but she delivers when required.

Pass on your well looked after or driving miss daisy! LOL

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Pfft pussy footing around !!!! ... why have a VTEC engine and pussy foot around :telloff:

It's all the motorway miles I do .. only 4 miles of 40 needs the clutch, the rest is all motorway driving, hence clutch longevity