Engine & Gearbox LPG/Auto

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Phil1978, Friday 4th Oct, 2013.

1. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Hi guys, apologies for more questions but I'd like to know your thoughts on the 2.4 With LPG conversion and an auto box.
    Firstly, are any of you guys running LPG? any problems, faults to worry about?
    Secondly, auto gearboxes, obviously more to go wrong, do they drive well and how reliable are the Honda auto boxes?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Bendzior Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I heard good things about 2.4 LPG converted accord there is couple of people hire with this set up and all the threads I read coming to conclusion that accord 7gen works great with LPG conversion as long it's a good LPG system installed by someone who know what his doing
    . Can't remember his forum name but I think it's "speedy" who is robbing LPG in 2.4 tourer for over 100k with no issues

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup guys speedy has been running LPG on his Accord and he has fitted the kit himself. His installs are epic above LPG code best practices.

4. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Cheers chaps, I thought I remembered seeing a 2.4 LPG in someones signature, I'll wait to see if he spots the thread rather than pester the poor fella.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hello :Wave: :Smile:

Yes, I've converted plenty of Hondas and not had any issues whatsoever, so main ingredients are well chosen system, well chosen reputable installer, flashlube system is must and needs to be regularly checked and topped up.

I will be selling my 2.4 LPG Accord soon (it's saloon not tourer).

As for autos, Hondas autos are well designed and last a long long time. I had a 3rd Generation Accord auto, got it 184,000 miles and sold it as 217,000 it still drove like new, and was quiet as mouse.

6. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Thanks for the reply Speedy, good to hear the auto boxes are nice and reliable, also found the LPG conversion thread, slightly annoyed that one of the cars I'm looking at isn't on the LPG Autogas register, should this put me off even thinking about the car? It says it had a BOC multipoint system with a 55 litre tank fitted in 2011 with receipts.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    This is a where it gets tricky, being on the UKLPG register is by no means any indicator that the install is pucker. Because the install is self approved, a garage certify there own work and put a car on the register. What drives these garages is turn around, get the car in, whack the system on, get the car out, next customer please. No point taking a few days on a car when you can smack out five or six installs in a week, thats what lines their pockets. I have many qualms about the UKLPG organisation and how they actually manage the industry.

Any way I digress, for the layman, that fact that it is on UKLPG register should be taken as a positive sign, so at least you know that the garage that did it (or checked it) are a recognised outlet. If it isn't then the risk is that the work hasn't been carried out to any standards what so ever.

8. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Thanks for that, I've emailed the dealer asking for the name and address of the company that fitted the system so I can look in to them, hopefully they'll get back to me, if they don't I'll keep looking.

- - - Updated - - -

The LPG was fitted by a company called the green fuel company, I have their number and will phone them for more details of what they fitted.