Engine & Gearbox LPG Conversion Questions

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Big.T, Friday 23rd Nov, 2012.

1. Big.T Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi I have a 7th Generation 2004 Accord Sport with a 2.0 litre petrol engine and auto box. Because of the stop start driving I do I am only getting about 28mpg. Hazard of the job.

Does anyone have any experience with LPG conversions good or bad or could recommend a type/make of conversion and any recommendations as to who can do install them in the Merseyside/ North West area.

Many Thanks in advance.

Only had the car for a couple of weeks was lucky enough to get it with 36k on the clock lovely drive only had Honda bikes in the past and always been impressed with the build quality, hope the cars are the same.

T

2. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Speedy has had lpg conversion unless I have him mixed up :Smile:

On a 2.4 I think sure he can advise I am about as much use as a chocolate teapot as know very little about the conversion

Seek him out im sure he will have useful advice

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Big T.

I do LPG conversions myself and have been driving LPG cars for many years now. The 7th Generation Accords run well on LPG.

My current Accord 2.4 I bought ready converted. It was converted at 42k by the previous owner, I bought it at 67k and it's now
    on 115k. She still pulls like a train and drives like new.

Previous to this Accord I had another Accord 2.4 which I converted myself at 60k and was still going strongly at 97k when she was involved in accident and written off :Sobbing:

You need to make sure you find a good installer who installs a good reputable system. I'll do a bit of research for you this evening and have a look at who I find around your area.

Also installing a flashlube system and keeping this topped up and running is a must for these engines, it becomes their lifeblood.

I'd offer my services for the install, I take my time and don't cut any corners on installs and I know my Honda engines but at the moment my garage is occupied by a project, see this thread http://hondakarma.com/threads/3092/

If you have any more questions just fire away :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I personally have huge reservation with LPG and surrounding their long term reliability,but I never hear of flashlube before today if Speedy say he been using it without any issues I would believe him.

I may be tempted to get a legend LPG conversion and see what it does ..:Niceone:

5. Big.T Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the the quick replies and advice.

A bit more research and hours trawling the internet needed before I make a decision.

T

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I can tell you first hand that I've covered nearly 100K miles across two 7th Generation Accords.

As long as you have a quality system that's tuned and installed correctly and keep the flashlube topped up the 7th Generation Accords love running on LPG.

Let me explain what flashlube is :-

When running on petrol, petrol being a liquid as it goes passed the inlet values it has a cooling affect on the valves. LPG being a gas, doesn't offer this cooling. So what can happen when running on LPG is that the inlet valves get hotter than normal, this extra heat starts to wear out the valve seats and you start to get valve seat recession (VSR).

After some time, the VSR gets so bad that you start to get idling and running problems, the solution to which is to have the cylinder head taken off and the valves and valve seats replaced.

Flashlube is an oil that can be added in via in the inlet manifold, it gets sucked into the air going into the engine and therefore provides that cooling that the petrol use to provide. A small bottle is added to engine bay, you add Flashlube into this bottle.

legend-ary, Ichiban and AccordCU2 like this.
  7. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hey this gets more and more interesting

Might have a look at current 2.4 tourer values a possible conversion makes them more appealing !

Does it reduce tax if converted?

8. Big.T Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think you get the massive tax reduction of £15

Working on my milage and some of the conversion tables they reckon it would repay itself in approx 12 months.

Still debating whether to go for it

9. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£15 you serious that much!!!

What is a 2.4 normally for a years tax £300??

Still tempting I would not half mind a petrol with reasonable mileage costs..

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My 7th Generation tourer road tax is £445 a year dude

11. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't be silly ! over £400 !

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

CJ, does your tourer fall into Band L ? Holy flying cows dude you need to get LPG for defo .. dropping 10-15 g/km would drop you car into the Band K which is £270 per year.

Surely your car is incorrectly banded .. get some emmisions readings done and get it rebanded dude !

Last edited: Friday 30th Nov, 2012
  13. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£270 is much better but still wow admit I have been looking at 2.4 would have to be a tourer though as need all the boot space i can with the kids and stuff. H won't let me put their muddy stuff in her new shiny motor.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

One thing to take into account is that having had a conversion done, does add a small amount of value to the car(assuming your cars worth a reasonable amount in the first place) so you could write off £300-£400 of the outlay as this.

Band K currently costs £270 per year. A conversion will drop you one band so you will save £20 a year not a huge saving unless your unlucky like CJ and have been dropped into Band L.

15. johnny 5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought my 2.4 Type-S recently and it had LPG already converted, the kit looks very professionally installed and is a BRC system. I also have some type of lubrication system in place (not flashlube) and told it does the trick in preventing valve wear, so im hoping this is the case. My car is over 120k and idles perfect and runs smoothly. Only time can tell if LPG does actually wear out the valves.

SpeedyGee, just out of interest, how much of this fluid should the car be using? My system has a manual adjusting knob to adjust the drip rate and i am unsure the rate at which this should be. I read something along the lines of 1 drip every 5-6 seconds? Is that correct? Also is it safe to VTEC with LPG or not? Thanks in advance.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've always set mine to 8 seconds a drip at idle, it's worked well for all my cars.

VTEC away my friend, there's no problem doing that on LPG. I do like to occasional do a 10-20 mile run just on petrol. This keeps the petrol injectors well exercised and helps clear out some of the sticky LPG residue off the inlet valves. I do this probably once a month.

Last edited: Monday 3rd Dec, 2012
  17. johnny 5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks buddy,I will adjust mine also as its going down rather fast! As you sound like a knowledgeable source of LPG information, I heard that not only is the cause of valve wear from the 'dryness' of LPG but it also burns at a hotter temperature? is this the cause of the 'dry' burn, in effect the lubrication removing the 'dryness' and therefore the LPG 'should' burn at a lower temperature? I am asking just to reassure myself that VTEC will be fine, as obviously VTEC increases the fuel mixture and would result in an even hotter combustion?

Whilst on the same topic, would the properties of Super Unleaded help clean out the residues from LPG any better than normal unleaded? Thanks again!

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The small amount of LPG residue that does hang around the inlets valves doesn't really do any harm, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
    As you know, you always start on petrol and run on petrol for a short while anyway.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will get a photo of the tax disc is you want. When i bought the car the road tax was 215 then Gordon robbing Brown and blasted Labour increased the VED on my car by a hundred pounds for the next two years.

Since then its been a yearly 20 pound increases. my car is on the same bracket as a S2000 no re-banding that is the actual emissions