Feedback/Help Lubes & Liquids Database

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 13th Jun, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm not sure if there is one already but if not could it be an idea to have a single place where all the top recommended lubes and liquids are listed for our cars? Would be awesome for quick reference and I'm thinking of the whole shebang from cutting compounds to waxes, greases, lubricants, oils, fluids, interior cleaners etc.

Obviously there may be some difference of opinion with certain things such as waxes etc, but surely there must be a general consensus for most?

Just a thought! :Smile:

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for suggesting it.We will discuss it in Moderators section and let you know If it is doable and benefits to the forum.
    Thanks a lot for taking time to suggest/discuss things with us.
    Gents if you have any other ideas/suggestions please post them.
    We are always looking to make it easier for members to enjoy forum and find info you might need.
    Thanks

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This needs to be a wiki buddy. All Honda Lubricants,waxes, greases, etc etc not a problem.. Lets get the outline sorted then go for the whole shebang as you say :Wink:

bud get the outline for the non honda stuff then lets meet in the middle anyone wants to input into this more than welcomed.

lets do it!

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The first few examples I can think of from the top of my head are the Red Rubber Grease I was using could be improved on by using the stuff you mentioned in the squeaky clutch thread, the meguiars wax I'm using is good, but doesn't last long and a sealant would have been better (I didn't know this until after I'd bought the wax), the stuff I was using to clean my interior has now been replaced with Aerospace 303 and I can see the difference - but I've wasted about £30 on other stuff before finding out, the correct stuff to use for brake pads (that is still available to buy).

I'm going to be doing my clutch fluid and gearbox oil soon and will have to dig out the DIY threads and hopefully the correct fluids will be mentioned but it would be great to have a central place to find all this :Smile:

I don't have a great deal of knowledge on the actual products but for the database of all this I would guess the most logical way would be to break it down into categories perhaps? Here's my thoughts:

Mechanical
    - engine (recommended makes)
    - clutch (which fluid to use)
    - gearbox (which oil to use)
    - brakes (which fluid to use and what grease on pads etc)
    - lubricating (clutch pedals, cables etc)

Detailing - Exterior
    -Cutting Compounds / Scratch Removers / Paint Renovators
    -Polishing / Clay Bars
    -Shampoos / Wheel Cleaners
    -Waxing / Sealants / Trim & Tyre Dressing
    -Steel/Chrome Polishing

Detailing - Interior
    -Fabric Shampoos
    -Leather Cleaners/Treatment
    -Glass Cleaners
    -Dash / Trim Cleaners
    -Odour Eliminators / Air Con Sanitisers

I've probably missed loads but what do you reckon, too big a job? Could always make it a WIP over time.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Here's a few for what it's worth:

Wonder Wheels Leather Clean & Feed
    - Says lots of good things on the bottom but sprays on like a watery liquid so my hopes weren't high. It's very quick to put on being a spray and doesn't leave any residue buut it looks as though it dries the seats out and I don't get the impression of any feed or care going on. Probably more of a cleaner but I wouldn't recommend this. I think a cream type product would be better so I'm now looking for a recommended one for my leather seats.

Wonder Wheels Rapid Stain Remover 500ml
    - I had a large nasty black mark (looked like ink) on the drivers side A-Pillar halfway up so always in my eyeline. This stuff removed it within seconds and didn't leave any discolouration of the A-Pillar material. Very happy and seems to be very effective.

303 Aerospace Protectant

- Recommended by CJ and is excellent for all the interior trim. Leaves just the right amount of shine, brings back the original look and repells dust well (my car sits in a very, very dusty environment all week at the moment - it's caked all over the outside of the car usually!)

G3 Advanced Liquid Compound (in the big yellow tube)
    - Still the best stuff I've ever used for machine or hand cutting/polishing. I've found it best to follow up with a regular polisher like Meguair's Deep Crystal Polish and then Wax/Seal

Meguair's Carnauba Wax
    - It's quite good although I find you do have to put a lot on. Leaves a nice finish but it doesn't last long. I reckon there's much better stuff out there.

Castrol Edge 0-30W
    - I'm more a Mobil fan but I needed 0-30W fast for my last service and Castrol is all there was. A bit expensive (I hate the 4L containers, it should be at least 5L) but I have to admit that I've been impressed by this oil so far. The engine is still very quiet with no noises suddenly appearing, performance is still solid and there's been no oil loss. The oil still looks relatively clean when looking at the dipstick (I expect any oil to go a bit dirty) and I've had the rocker cover off since the service and everything looks nice, clean and lubed in there. But let's see after another few months! lol In a previous car I remember using Halfords engine oil once and you could literally feel and hear the loss in protection within days!

That's about it from me for the moment. I'm currently keen to find out the highest recommended stuff for:

Gearbox Oil
    Leather Seats Nourishment
    Tyre Dressing (long lasting and non-damaging)
    Sealant

My aircon has a slight musty smell when you first turn it on, unless the car is warm inside whereby the vent air freshener overrides the smell! I'll be looking into this also :Smile:

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Re: Lubes & Liquids Database

Armor All Leather Care Gel
    - After not very impressive results from Wonder Wheels Leather Clean & Feed which left my seats dry and faded looking, I found some Armor all Leather Care Gel. I had quite high hopes for this stuff being a gel and could imagine the long overdue lathering that my seats rightfully deserved. It goes on nice and is easy to rub in. Once dry (pretty quick) the original depth of colour has definitely returned a little with a nice nourished look and feel to them also. A few more coats over the coming weeks should really bring the seats back to life I reckon. If this stuff can have such results I can only wonder what the really good stuff could do....hmmmmm......

Last edited: Sunday 16th Jun, 2013
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keep em coming bud .. I will soon make this in a wiki (promise) time permitting.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anymore additions to this list by other members before we start creating the wiki section.

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    These are my personal preferences from years of kicking ten shades of **** out of hondas and building classic rally cars.

Mechanical
    - engine - Millers CFS5w40
    - clutch - Millers 300+ Brake Fluid (should you run into an issue on the road DOT4 can be got in every service station, therefore easily replaced/topped up)
    - gearbox - Millers CR-X 75w90 NT (cures virtually all Honda gearbox faults in the same way (if not better) than Hondas own MTF)
    - brakes - Millers 300+ Brake Fluid (high performance DOT4, capable of withstanding more heat than most DOT5's and doesn't contain silicone, again meaning it is easy found when out and about should you gain a leak or need to bleed due to overheating.

That is my personal choice, it may appear I have drank the Millers kool-aid, but they are a British company, who develop and blend all their own products. Almost every product they have produced has been through request from owners of vehicles/machnes that could not find the right oil anywhere. They support the small guys in motorsport and all their reps I have met have been great guys.

Oh and I am also a Millers retailer :Tongue:

SpeedyGee likes this.