Exhaust System M.O.T

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by bigbezz, Tuesday 21st Apr, 2015.

1. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Bigbezz Lancashire uk
    failed the M.O.T today on track rod end,a bulb and the emissions,have replaced full exhaust but not the lambda sensors,would the first sensor cause a high c.o mesurement i.e too much fuel?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Italian tune with good quality fuel give the car a proper canning on the motorway, I say a proper pasting will do it mate. The emission will fall back into place loads of members have gone into hardware swapping mode or were going to do that but its a Honda.
    A quick blast and emission pass they rest will need part swapping to pass.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  3. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cherrs for that,will give it a blast before going back to test :Wink:

4. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

well went for retest and.........failed again on emissions,they were worse than before even with a new front 02 sensor,now saying cat is bad even though it is only 7 months old,what do i do now??? :Frown:

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm guessing you used an aftermarket catalytic converter? The genuine ones cost a bomb, but aftermarket ones are renowned for not being good enough to pass emissions.

6. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

you got it in one :Wink: i have noticed a high pitched whistle when i turn off the engine,it lasts for a few seconds then fades,it seems to be coming from the back of the engine around the intake manifold area.would this be a a leak ?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Gasket or pipes i mean :Wink:

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It could be a leak or some sorts I guess, but then whines I normally associate with belts. That's a hard one to diagnose over the net, but probably the best course of action is to get something to start/stop the car while you look around the bay trying to pin-point it.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I find using a long tube to the ear and move that round the engine bay helps pinpoint noises quite well.

9. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys/girls,update....took car back to garage today,swapped the new cat for my old one and it passed :Happy:,so now am in touch with company that sold me the cat to see if they can sort something out :judge:other stuff were sorted too so 12 months more for the V :Grin:.

Nels and SpeedyGee like this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Top job !

Odd that the old cat was better than the new cat :crazyeyes:

11. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah i know speedygee i was going to bin it but kept it and it was a good job i did lol.

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Congrats bud, very odd that the new CAT failed. Do you know what brand it is?

13. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chunkylover53, the guy at the garage said he has had new ones fail straight out of the box,so not odd apparently :Messed:

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@bigbezz if you want to tag another member see this. :Hey:
    Good job you kept the old one.:Smile:

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You'd think they would find a new supplier :Laughing: