Electrical & Lights Main beam useless.....why??

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Bigngroovy, Sunday 14th Apr, 2013.

1. Bigngroovy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'm new to Honda, and now have a 2006 Accord tourer Ctdi, which is just perfect for my newly growing family.

Upon using the main beams, it would appear that they're not set to project at a high enough angle, meaning that they just make the beam pattern of the dipped beam appear brighter.

This is really unnerving when driving unlit national speed limit roads at night, as the lights just don't pick out much aside from the road 20-30 metres in front of the car.
    I have come from a 2000 BMW 530D M-sport, and the main beams on that would shine ahead for miles attracting low flying aircraft to land in front of me.

Is there anything that can be done to improve the spread/angle of the main beams on the Accord? I have tried setting the in cabin headlight adjuster to its highest setting, but no joy.

It's almost like the main beam bulbs are somehow upside down, (which i don't think is possible?), and shine down at the road surface in front of the car, rather than angled up to see further into the distance.

I'd appreciate if someone could shed some light, (b-dum-Tsss):Tongue:, on my problem.

Many thanks all.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome AOC if your car is due a MOT soon ask the operator to see the headlights are aligned correctly. If not due an MOT then you will ask them to check it.

Set the internal headlight lamps adjuster at zero. Halogen are not the best lighting in the world it what you have to live with.

3. Bigngroovy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, i MOT'd the car the day i had it, (last week), and everything was fine with adjustments. Are there any possible upgrades, or adjustments that i can make, as i fail to see how any driver would be happy with this set-up, it just seems totally inadequate to me.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Aftermarket halogen bulbs ,ring makes some decent ones or H1 HID 4300k which are being clamped down upon.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've exactly the same age and model and I've got to be honest never noticed this as a problem.
    Actually think the main beams are very good on unlit country roads. Maybe your bulbs are blackened with age.

6. Bigngroovy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Righty, thanks... off to halfrauds with the trade card tomorow to het hold of some new H1's for a few pence... i know they're not road legal, but will the car's electrics handle 100w H1's, (for off road use). they do a range of 50% or 90% brighter H1 bulbs.... has anyone had any experience of these?

Any recommendations?

Thanks again.

7. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Ditto
    Mine much better after fitting ring 120% brighter bulbs a/v on ebay. these have been great in my main beam but burn out way too quickly on dip. Replaced them with Philips extreme (not the ICE blue) and dip is perfect much brighter,better and longer spread of light and legal!! main beam to my mind seems set too low on these cars. Other wise with these bulbs they are fine. Also found Osram Knight Breaker (plus) bulb quite good or as good as the Philips..

8. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    poor light output on halogen bulbs was also first thing I noticed when I bought my accord, even my old laguna had better lights, anyway I've tried some upgraded philips bulbs and osram vison plus or whatever it calls, after when I fitted HID's 4300 I started to see what's in front of me at night, so that's my recommendation :Wink:

9. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    OEM high intensity discharge lights are legal. After market kits are not. They are fine off road use but not legal for use on the road. Any reputable dealer will tell you this. Under EURO law it is clear they are illegal unless you have automatic healight leveling and headlamp washes also fitted which if you have stock lights you will not have. You may have washes but won't have automatic light leveling. Get caught and you face a fine possible points and invalidating your insurance as not road legal. However far better light than up rated bulbs.. Up to you guys..

Last edited: Monday 15th Apr, 2013