General Main dealers service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StuH, Friday 10th Jun, 2016.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    As per my other post, I serviced the rear brakes today. I wanted to see if there was any evidence of them done in the history and there was, back in December 2013 the rears disc and pads were done at Chester Honda. On the invoice in the description it mention copper grease had been used to prevent the caliper seizing. Well, the service manual clearly states what should be used and it aint copper grease, anywhere. Sure enough, the pads were covered in dried copper grease, the sliders had something thick and black on them and I'm not sure what the blue stuff dried on the hub was but I had the get it off before the disc would come off.

Customers pay a premium to have their car serviced at a Honda dealer and you would expect the job to be done as per spec. I've also seen that the 62,500 service done at Steels Honda in Hereford included 10w-40 GTX oil, I've never known that being standard spec on the 2.4?

I know this isn't unique to Honda; when I worked at a Merc dealer the local factors van would visit numerous times a day and I regularly saw 'OEM' parts being whilst the customer was being charged full whack for genuine Merc maintenance. Ironic thing is, the dealer I worked at had one of the biggest spares department in the North West and had numerous cages dropped off every morning stuffed with Merc parts that were going out to the trade!

exec and jimjams like this.
  2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They're not called stealers for nothing.

jimjams and AccordCU2 like this.
  3. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I could recall other stories from when I used to get my Accord serviced at the same dealer where I had bought the car from, from 2006 to 2010. When I finally twigged that things were not really 100%, I kept the money in my pocket and started down the road of DIY maintenance, eventually buying the ESM and starting to read similar stories of <<100%, on Honda forums.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Copper grease !!!! heavens forbid!!!!!!!!!!!! They will be putting water in the washer bottle next and non Honda branded air in the tyres lol

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Buxton?

chris2982 likes this.
  6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Honda do thoughtfully supply the necessary grease with their replacement brake pads. It isn't copper grease.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Very good but when you use a main dealer you expect jobs to be done to the manufacturers specifications. Put it another way; if I had a problem with honda discs or pads that I fitted honda and used copper grease honda could quite easily say they hadn't been fitted as per spec.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The black grease(M77) is the recommend grease on pads Molykote M77 grease. Any scientists out there? (Suspension, Steering and Brakes - )
    also have a look at Advisements for Rear Brake Pad Replacement (Bulletins & Advisories - )

However I am not a fan of copper slip on brakes it increases metal corrosion and that is a fact. I only use copper slip in screws and bolts which need frequently removing.

9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Clearly states in the rear brake pad bulletin:
    • Under no circumstances should other types of grease be used especially Copper Slip grease as it accelerates corrosion due to chemical reactions between copper and steel.
    Yet not only did Chester Honda whack it on all over (was very dry and holding the pads in the clips) they actually stated it on the invoice that it was used to prevent calipers seizing. I don't think it was M77 on the sliders, it was quick thick and reasonably dry, one slider was really hard to shift and the rubber was twisted (before I touched it).

Might only be a small thing to some but when the manufacturer is clearly stating not to use something you don't expect a main dealer to ignore it.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Agree. It's horrible stuff that I suspect is to blame for many instances of pads sticking.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will find majority of dealers use copper slip as the M77 cost and if that cost was passed to the customer "The stealer's" branding comes to effect. if you feel so strongly about copper slip there are so many guides here you can do brakes here on your own using the best greases. Cost of using the right stuff is always a thing customer never like being passed to them. The black thing on the slider happens when they come dry and they scuff you should use high quality silicone grease on slider and not that red grease which is not worth a penny.

12. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I do my own brakes, it was doing the rears yesterday that prompted my post. It's not that i feel particularly strong about copper grease it's more the premium dealers ask. I do know what goes on, I worked with Merc dealers for long enough!

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    We use tunap ceramic compound rather than molycote. It doesn't wash off as easily and being ceramic based its a lot more heat resistant. Makes financial sense as we have a consumables contract with them.

Ichiban likes this.
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

This may be a naive comment, but...

If the manufacturer says a certain product must or must not be used, surely the fixed service cost takes that into account?

If it does, and the dealer uses a cheaper substitute, at best that is 'a bit naughty' and at worst it is a breach of various parts of the Trading Standards Act, specifically the schedules dealing with mis-representation of goods and/or services provided against an agreed schedule?

As a consumer, I am able to ask for the specifics of what has been carried out and what I have paid for. If it turns out that payment has been made in lieu of goods or services not supplied in accordance with the agreement, then a dealer is taking a risk that they won't be found out and/or that the customer doesn't know their rights.

It only takes one instance made public to ruin a reputation...

exec and chris2982 like this.
  16. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    My Type-S is about to go into Vertu Honda for a new clutch so I'm hoping they fit a genuine one! Especially as it's costing me £650 for the privilege.

17. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can confirm from personal experience that the best place to get the clutch changed IS at a dealer but other than parts from HH (and HH in general), personally I wouldn't use most Honda dealers for much else

FirstHonda likes this.
  18. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    I'd heard it's a tricky job so wanted Honda to do it and the price wasn't much higher tbh

FirstHonda and jimjams like this.
  19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

a lot of people have got their clutch changed at an independent for one or two hundred less, but I don't see why, clutch change is a dealer's area of expertise IMO

20. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    150 more to go to honda not worth any aggro

jimjams likes this.