Detailing Man...that was hard work!!

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by vygec, Saturday 6th Apr, 2013.

1. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The car was filthy, and reading zoran's detailing thread had got me in the mood.
    I had already picked up all my bits from a month or so ago.
    So today, attempted my first 'detail'. In that it was my first attempt, other than just a wash n polish.
    So my routine was:

Rinse-Wash-Rinse using 2 bucket method
    Wheels washed-wheels sealed-tyres dressed
    Sealant applied
    Whilst waiting for the sealant to cure, attacked the interior (vacuumed, seats dressed, mats washed, new air freshener!)
    Buffed the sealant to finish.

5 hours later, my back is finished. To top it off the mrs said why i didn't just take it to the local european gaff!!

All products used were Autoglym. First time using them, and i'm really impressed.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 6th Apr, 2013
    Roylewaa and AccordCU2 like this.
  2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Looks good. Nothing wrong with AG stuff when used properly. It is hard work and if you're going to do it regularly a machine polisher such as the G220 is a good investment, wish I had some time to use mine :Angry:
  3. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good work fella, looks mint
  4. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Very nice results, well done
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good job dude.

You guys make me jealous, barely have time to wash the car let alone do some detailing.
  6. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Must do mine, same colour but NOT the same shine!
    I have an AG kit (the one in a red bag) with wash & wax, paint renovater, resin polish etc - but no sealant. What is it and where do I get some?
    Or there again I may just use the Mer I bought for the M/home!

Just noticed the lattice grill in the lower vent - can you get anything similar for the FR-V? The intercooler is in this vent and already has a stone ding in it so I want to protect it before it is punctured.
    Last edited: Saturday 6th Apr, 2013
  7. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The sealant is Extra Gloss Protection.
    I used to use Mer polish, but the AG stuff gives a much more impressive finish.

when i have to wash again at a later date, how do i go about this? will just a bucket with shampoo suffice? im hoping i don't have to go through the whole polish/sealant route again..not for a while at least :Smile:
  8. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Nice one,looks brilliant.
  9. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Use 2 buckets, one with shampoo in and the other with clean water, every time you wash a couple of panels rinse out your wash mitt in the clean water to get rid of any dirt therefore you are not cross contaminating your shampoo bucket with dirt. Rinse off after you've washed the car then dry, buy yourself a quick detailing spray then apply after you've dried as this will help keep up the protection on the car and shine up your finish again so to your original question is that you don't need to polish for 6-12 months but I would re seal again after 3
    vygec and AccordCU2 like this.
  10. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Meguairs NXT quik detailer spray is quite good for this. I find Meguairs NXT sealant last well also.
    vygec likes this.
  11. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Don't use the renovator, it's old fashioned non-diminishing cutter, think t-cut and you're not far off. It's just not suitable for the soft clear-coats and you'll end up with holograms all over the panels, not nice.