Engine & Gearbox manual gear 6 speed

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by gpoler, Wednesday 29th Apr, 2015.

1. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    hello,
    my CR-V 2014 petrol 6 gear manual has a good gear shifting in the first 5 gear,
    but switching to the 6th speed is always slow and a little rought.
    has anyone the same trouble?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi @gpoler, that doesn't sound right, being an '14 model taking it back to your Honda Dealer to check out would be the best option, I'd say.

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Definitely!

Trying any sort of repair yourself will almost certainly invalidate the warranty, so I'd avoid that! But 6th gear difficulties should not be happening...

Anchorman likes this.
  4. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    hi, I'm asking if the insertion of the 6th speed is usually more slow than the other 5 speeds,
    I prefer not to do not necessary works on the gearbox, so I need some impressions from CR-V petrol manual users.

thanks a lot for the tricks

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    When you say insertion of the 6th gear is slower, do you mean you feel some resistance which partially impedes the progress of getting into 6th gear ?

If so, then this doesn't sound right, it should go in the same as all the other gears.

6. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    partially, the insertion of 6th gear sounds like the insertion of the retro, more slow than the other 5 gears, my car has only 3000km so I guess the gear need more break in particularly in 6th gear,
    does any user of CR-V manual gear have the same?

7. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    I would at least log the fault with your dealer assuming that your car is still covered by the warranty. Maybe get a technician to go for a road test with you too to demonstrate the fault.

At least then you will have some comeback if 6th fails in the future.

8. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    hi,
    I Called the dealer weeks ago and the first time it told me that was a brake-in assestment, than that it was normal,
    the 6th speed will engage without resistance , but the "process" is a little slow compared with the other speed, I worried about gear feeling but more with opening the gearbox if not necessary!
    The thing I would know is if other manual users will notice the same.
    some forum users have answered, but I can see that they are not driving a CR-V so I assume that they speak as general rules of gearbox, but every model has his own particular working.
    for example the whole gear of CR-V is a little slower than the one I had on the 99 Accord 2.0 petrol ( car that is still used by my parents),

9. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    How many miles/km?

10. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    about 3000 km

11. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    OK, so you are not putting a lot of miles/km on the car then?
    For what it's worth I have driven a lot of new and nearly new Hondas over the years. I have never experienced one with a selection problem from new or with that kind of distance on the clock.
    Your dealer is probably reluctant to split the box unnecessarily too.....so humour them. Put some more distance on the odometer and maybe mention it again at the next major service if it has not improved. It's not like your warranty is about to expire any day now, is it?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That running in a new gearbox is quality BS its a Honda not a bloody Lada. mate speak to the service manager not the front desk chimps.

Busa1340r likes this.
  13. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    ok,
    but comparing to the first km now the gear si more smooth ( only the 6th speed is a little different),
    maybe I'm too esigent , but my impression is that all the gear is operating a little slow ( not difficult to insertions, but tha shifting require more time than the other cars I drove , Civic , accord and mazda6 ).
    ASAP I'll speak to the service manager,

thanks

14. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    gpoler

I've had no trouble with my CR-V gears at all, from new (2013 2.2 diesel). Only done 9,000 miles and always all smooth. Certainly get it looked at. Ask them to go out with you on a test drive

Phil

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    hi,
    Yesterday I've driven a CR-V of friend, petrol and manual gear ,15000Km just done,
    same gear than mine!
    not a bad shifting, but, in my opinion, a little "letargic" in shifting than other car I drove ( old honda in primis)!
    the 6th gear still require more time then other to insert.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    MTF oil change and see if that makes a difference? at that mileage the oil is begging to be changed TBH.

17. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    hi, I think that 4000km is a little mileage for changing trasmission oil!
    but you're right the feeling with gearbox is like when you use wrong gear oil!