Engine & Gearbox Manual Gearbox Problems: common fault? - 6th Generation Accord

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Berengaria, Saturday 14th Apr, 2012.

1. Berengaria New Member Getting Started

Hi - I've made this post as a prospective owner of a 1998 - 2003 Accord, rather than as a current owner, as I need some advice.

As above, I'm considering buying one of these cars (with under 50k miles on the clock) on the basis of their reliability and the proximity of a Honda dealer conveniently close to where I live.

However, some of the research I've done on the internet suggests that this generation Accord seems to suffer from premature failure of automatic gearboxes as well as there being problems with the manual gearboxes as well, which seems to go against the general picture of the Honda reliability thing.

In terms of the manual gearbox, I was just wondering if someone knowledgeable of these cars could explain if gearbox failure / issues are actually common problems on this type of Accord, what these problems are, and set things in some sort of context - if I buy one, can I expect to have to deal with this problem during ownership, or is this something that is very much the exception rather than the rule? I would like to buy one of these cars, but this is threatening to put me off.

Speaking as someone who's having to replace their car because their old one developed a terminal gearbox problem, I'm understandably keen not to end up in the same position again! As many of these Accords are now in the region of 10 years old, fixing a problem such as that would probably be way more than the cars worth.

I'm also recalling that a relative of mine owned a 2001 2.0 Executive model from new until it was 3 years old with about 30k miles on it - this one developed a clutch fault just at the time they traded it in for one of the new 7th Generation Accords that came out. This is also got me worried.

Any honest advice on this would be appreciated - obviously, if it's a rare fault only affecting high milers then it's not an issue, but if it's something I could seriously expect to encounter, then I might have to think again.

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think there is an issue with the Accord Type-R gearbox but not the standard one...except that the service schedule specifies a long oil change interval and the handbook mentions using motor oil, which over the long term, well draw your own conclusions....

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Berengaria,

What did you end up doing in the end,have you bought your Accord?

4. nemiers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland
    don't know if gearbox problems are common, but mine 2000 CG8 1.8 has some possible bearing noise.
    Few days ago replaced clutch kit and clutch bearing was not in good condition.
    However noise remained. Car has run 120k kilometers.

I have bought another gearbox which has been used for 320k and its seems to be in better condition.
    Strange. Thinking in replacing all gearbox bearings (overhaul it).

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nemiers, what did you do in the end ? Did you overhaul the gearbox you had to replace it ?

7. Stephen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The noise is very clear and obviously when you dipped the clutch the noise stopped. Although blidingly obvious the reson the noise stopped was because everything stopped turning in the gearbox and the noise is the classic sound of the 1st motion shaft bearing that is shot. The bell housing tends to amplify the sound coming from it. My advice would be to get a used gearbox but it could give you the same noise unless you could hear it running. The gearbox can be stripped and you will need to replace the 1st motion shaft bearing [the other end of the splined shaft that goes through the clutch driven plate] and the mainshaft and laygear bearings.
    You will need the Accord repair manual though and a fair bit of time and scrupulously clean conditions
    My experience of the Accord auto box is that whilst it is not the smoothest in the business it is pretty reliable provided you change the fluid when it should be. I personally would not have anything else.
    Good Luck
    Stephen

SayamaAccord likes this.
  8. nemiers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland
    1st time I replaced all clutch parts, release bearing was bad also, so I hoped that is origin of noise.
    After putting all back unfortunately it was something else. So I took and installed another gearbox with more kilometers but for my luck it was good.
    So no noise for now.

I hope some day to take old gearbox apart and find what is wrong but not sure when if ever I would do that.

p.s. second time it was faster to get gearbox off :Rolf:

Last edited: Sunday 20th Jan, 2013
  9. Stephen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Familiarity with the process always makes it easier. I think HONDA had some not so good bearing suppliers at some point as there are random transaxle failures in Accord and Civic that cannot realistically be put down to gearbox use Good end result.
    Regards
    stephen

Familiarity with the process always makes it easier. I think HONDA had some not so good bearing suppliers at some point as there are random transaxle failures in Accord and Civic that cannot realistically be put down to gearbox use Good end result.
    Regards
    stephen

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I won't put the bearing solely at fault here infact NTN bearing Japan and few other needle bearing firms who is the sole supplier are world known for their quality.

However what I would say the gear oil in a manual car is the most neglected oil on the car. it hasn't got the below ...

• No water cooling like the engine
    • No oil cooler
    • No oil filtration
    • No oil filter
    • No magnetic drain plug
    • Excessive drain oil intervals.

All of the above are there in a Autobox in some shape or the other.

These bearing will survive longer if owners changed the oil regularly it is simple oil change which will prolong the life of gear box immensely.You can use Honda MTF-3 which has all the additives you require for the gearbox to be in tip top condition. The guys who cane their cars you should change the oil sooner.

11. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does anyone know how to change the oil on a 6th Generation. I have looked on the forum and know there is a drain plug and a nut u check the level through, but there doesn't seem top be ant obvious filler point. Do u have to set up a fordable house and fill through the level check nut hole? Also is it 3ltr in a manual box?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not sure about capacity for your gearbox but yes, you do fill through the check nut hole.

On level ground, fill until oil comes out of the check hole.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Here you go.

Remove the drain plug (A) and drain the fluid. Cover the front and rear beams with a shop towel (B) to catch any spilled fluid.
    Reinstall the drain plug with a new washer (C), and refill the transmission fluid to the proper level

Fluid Capacity
    1.9 liters (2.0 US qt, 1.7 Imp qt) at fluid change
    2.0 liters (2.1 US qt, 1.8 Imp qt) at overhaul

Honda MTF-3 fluid is recommended.NOTE: The drain plug washer should be replaced at every fluid change.

MTF Replacement 6th gen Accord AOCUK.JPG

SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. Markus spot New Member Getting Started

Mark
    Hi i have just encounteredy first problem after 4 yrs of ownership of 2.3l manual gearbox .over the last 6 months i notice a noise as if somthing is loose on turning right and nocking at slow speed on rough ground not highway. 1st thoughts were bottom ball joint or topmounts, i checked the driveshafts and the output shafts? Are hanging out of the gearbox now they snatch on turns sounds horrid . But its been trouble free apart from this.

15. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    I purchased my 6th Generation Manual Accord (1.8LS) five years ago with 106K on the clock. Done 123K now so not lot of usage but even when first purchased it had a clutch whirring sound on tickover when clutch not depressed. Push it down and it went away. On my recent MOT test/service at Honda I had an advice that the clutch had a very high bite point and would soon need replacing. I suspected this might be the case as the occasional (very slight) juddery acceleration until the engine warmed up was getting slightly worse. I have also heard that its not just the clutch that needed replacing - you need the Flywheel replacing as well, as this is probably the cause of he juddering in the first place. Whether this is true or not I have no idea.

Honda standard cost for clutch replacement quoted to me is £640. I have no idea if this includes the flywheel - if indeed I actually have one!

Phil

16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£640 is waaaayyyyyyy too much bud. I paid £350 all in with a genuine clutch. HH sell the clutch kit for around £160 so £200 for labour should be what you're aiming for. I had exactly the same problems at 75k on the clock which were all eradicated as soon as the clutch was changed.

Phil P likes this.
  17. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    chunky

If I buy the kit from HH I still need someone to fit it. I can no longer do DIY - as I used to. Getting on a bit now.

Know anybody in Sarf London, or, a bit nearer me in Sarf East London, that can fit it?

Ta

Phil

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Echo what Chunky said, although for a Honda dealer that's about right. I had a clutch/flywheel replacement in my '03 Accord. I paid £135 in labour which included fluids, that was a steal, but still - grease monkey price tends to be £200-300. Shop around, unfortunately no pointers on where to look around your area.

About the flywheel, yes I'd definitely get that done at the same time, considering the mileage.

Phil P likes this.
  19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine was done by a friend hence the low labour costs. That said ask your local garages, I'm certain they'll do it for less than £300. Otherwise buy the kit and ask your local dealership to install it. It may work out cheaper.

Whereabouts SE are you?

20. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    SE3. Greenwich/Blackheath/Charlton borders. I intend to contact Honda Bexleyheath (recently moved to Orpington I gather) to see if their quote includes replacing the Flywheel...........though I somehow doubt it